Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Prefer Tins or Bulk?

I am mainly a bulk smoker, I wander through the various suppliers and order an ounce of whatever sounds interesting and if I like it I'll order more. I'm not exclusive to bulks but they are a lot less expensive than tins and even pouches. So many companies are merged or taken over by other companies and their brands are dropped or changed by the new producer. If you buy your tobacco by the pound you can enjoy it longer.

So, are you mainly a tin buyer or bulk?

Comments

• Options
    It depends on the blend. I smoke several Dunhill blends - Standard, Baby's Bottom, Flake - that are not available in bulk. Others that come to mind in that category are Capstan,Amphora, McCranie's Red Ribbon and Murdock's Pipe,Balkan Sasieni...
    Peterson has only started making their blends available in bulk. I intend to pick up some Old Dublin in the near future,since my supply of tins is getting low.
    Some blenders have their top end blends available only in tins - the two McCranie's blends are a perfect example.
    I smoke what I like,not what is going to save me money. Smoke the best tobaccos you can afford.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    I smoke bulk, I bought a container of some holiday blend once, but it wasn't an actual tin tin. I like buying bulk because it's easier on the wallet (most of the time) and because I haven't been compelled to pick up any tins. I'm probably missing out on some great tobacco, but if you don't know what you're missing, right?
  • Options
    I smoke primarily bulk because I can easily try and then store them.  I have quite a few tins that I have collected over the years but most are unopened and untried blends. I agree with the fact that bulk is a lot easier on the pocket book which is also why I normally go for the bulk.
  • Options
    I have an even mix really 
  • Options

I am like @judandhispipe on this one, I like certain bulk blends
    and I still purchase bulk blends quiet a bit due to cost. BUT there are those
    tins that do not come on bulk and I find it easier to cellar the tins I have to
    mason jar my bulk that I cellar.

• Options
    Bulk: I'm cheap; so when I spend my $ on tobacco I want to buy tobacco not packaging that doesn't seal well in the first place. The only reason to buy tin is if that item is not available in bulk on P&C, I'm looking at you Orlik GS & Frogmorton Cellar!
  • Options
    TTTTIIIIIINNNNNNSSSSSS
  • Options
    It would be nice if all blends could be bought in bulk but sadly that is not the case so I will continue to buy both. 
  • Options
    I have an ample supply of both. I prefer tins for ease of use and portability though.
  • Options
    Tins or bulk doesn't really alter my decision on a purchase, but if it comes in both, I'll buy a tin the first time for the sake of collecting the different tin art design, and if I like it, I'll buy bulk there after.
  • Options
    I was under the impression that tinned tobacco tastes slightly different than bulk, because it contains products to preserve freshness and moisture. For the most part I choose a bulk and cellar it myself, but I'll take tins when bulks aren't available.
  • Options
    Once I became aware of the YouTube Pipe Community and the forums like The Pipeline and approached pipe smoking as a hobby I tended to buy my tobacco in bulk. It was cheaper and it gave me an opportunity to try a variety of blends without breaking the bank. They were mainly Sutliff blends or P&C specialty blends from Russ' Monthly collection. Then I started to branch out and purchase a few tins. Then more and more I discovered the tinned tobacco seemed to be a little better quality. Now I have pounds of bulk tobacco in Mason jars scattered about the house while I'm dipping more into the tinned tobaccos. 
  • Options
    If it only comes in tins, I buy the tins. (Sutliff Private Stock Barbados Plantation)
    If it only comes in bulk, I buy bulk. (Sutliff Sunset Rum)
    "Very logical, Captain...."
  • Options
    I recently started to buy tins only because I kept hearing about Barbados Plantion,however mostly what I buy is bulk.
  • Options
    Prefer bills over tins. The reason is simple: bigger bang for the buck. I consider tins "special treat smokes when I want to experience a change of pace...
  • Options
    That should ha been "bulk", not "bills" - sorry...

• Options

Most of the time it is dependent on what is available in an American tin, what is available in European tins, and what is available in bulk. Also, some tobaccos in the tin already have 5 years of age on them when shipped from the manufacturer, where as some bulks do not. This can be a definite consideration when purchasing straight Virginias.

The European square tins are notorious for losing their seals, even when kept in a temperature controlled environment. When I am dealing with those, I go ahead and jar them up as soon as I get them. Sadly some of my favorite blends are only available in square tins, and I curse the guy who decided that form was more appealing than function.

Also, sometimes bulk tobacco can taste different, or come in a different cut or preparation, which will make the tobacco taste slightly different. It's not necessarily that one is superior to the other, just a little different in flavor. Most of it comes down to personal preference.

One concern with jarring tobacco, is getting a good seal, and not using heat to get that seal. If you use heat, you will force all the oxygen out of your mason jar, and oxygen is necessary for fermentation and aging. This is the reason that most coin twist opening tins do not age in the tin, and need to be moved to a mason jar to get the fermentation process started.

While a lot of money can be saved buying bulk, sometimes there are other considerations to be considered, when considering which to buy.

• Options
    When I got back into pipe smoking hard and heavy as a hobby about two years ago (been smoking for about 50 years) and really started trying a variety of different blends, the first time I bought a tin of tobacco I didn't even know how to open it properly. I tried unscrewing it and damn near gave myself a hernia. It didn't want to pop open either. And I was too embarrassed to ask anyone on the forum. So luckily I did a search on YouTube and found a presenter who may have experienced the same problem as I, but was either smart enough to figure it out on his own, or not too proud to ask advise.  
  • Options
    SwmaplesSwmaples Apprentice
    I like the variety afforded in buying in bulk. I can try several blends without breaking my budget. I do buy tins but usually because of a good suggestion, Barbados Plantation for instance, or because a particular favorite is only offered in tins.
  • Options
    Will always buy bulk if I can find it in bulk. If not then tins it is. 
  • Options
    I feel the same way @jfreedy bulk is just easier on my wallet but if I have to go with tins then so be it.
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    Like many of you if I like it and it's tinned I buy it, if I like it and it comes bulk, I buy bulk! As for the mason jars, I don't use the screw top type. I use the one with the big rubber seal, and the big metal clamp
  • Options
  • Options
    No need to repeat what @jfreedy and @Corey562 said, since I'm in full agreement...
  • Options
    Today I was taking advantage of P&C's  Hearth & Home sale, and decided to throw in a tin of Peterson Sherlock Holmes to replace the one I am getting ready to open. I was reminded that Peterson now comes in bulk, through them. Although I buy Old Dublin in bulk - I smoke a fair amount of it - Sherlock Holmes is a "once in a while" blend, for me.I decided that the savings on 2 oz was not worth the inconvenience I would have, having SH in two storage methods. Now, if I decide to smoke more of it, I might decide to switch to bulk.
  • Options
    I buy both, though if a blend comes in tin or bulk, I'll buy bulk. For example, all the blends I like from C&D, other than crumble cakes and flakes, come in bulk. It's more budget friendly to buy 4 oz in bulk rather than a 2 oz tin.

I do like buying a tin of a blend, and then keep the tin around and fill it with some of the bulk tobacco from a larger mason jar. Also, with tins, if I like a tin, I'll try to pick up a larger 8 oz tin of a blend, rather than buy a ton of 2 oz tins..