Home Tobacco Talk
Options

3 must try tobaccos....

What are 3 MUST try tobaccos? As examples, I often hear: Lane 1Q (which I have), Orlik Golden Sliced & FrogMorton's (but which one?). What do you tell piping friends they MUST try? Thanks guys, your insight often saves me from wasting my money on the random option, Frugal Piper.

Comments

• Options
    As I have learned from many of these discussions, there are three tobaccos that come up quite often. They aren't the greatest in the world but are very popular. They are Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Lane Limited Ready Rubbed. They are on my next order.
  • Options
    Penzance, St. Bruno Flake and Rum Flake.
  • Options
    Plum Pudding, Mississippi River and Virinia Woods
  • Options
    Dunno how this thread will save you money, because you will get different answers from darned near everyone who posts.
  • Options
    That's because everyone is different and has different taste.
  • Options
    Its okay, I tend to go with consistency so if 1 out of everyone's 3 favs. were the same that would be on my next checkout list. I just like to get these in mind for later during those long winter months to come. Thanks guys, keep them coming.
  • Options
    @bphasty I understand your point and question. I have to say it is hard because I like everything from Aro to Balken to VaPer; so I will give you 3 one for each as a must try. For an Aro: Molto Dulce this is a great Aro that doesn't give tongue bite I really enjoy this in a cob. Balken/English for me I have to say get a tin of Legends from McClelland this was created by Fred Hanna and is an awesome smoke (considered an English technically). Last for a VaPer would be Deception Pass from Seattle Pipe Club. A great smoke and really enjoyable if you like VaPers. Of course these are my own humble opinion ("which I am an expert on" LOL) and they are all newer or more recent so I have them stocked up in my cellar because of the latest bad federal decision for pipe tobacco. Good Luck.
  • Options
    So if your going for favorites then McClellands Frog Morton's Cellar, Cornell &Deihl Irish Blessing, Cornell & Deihl Founding Fathers
  • Options
    Come to think of it, Penzance is a bad choice. It really sucks. If you see it don't buy it. Message me and let me know where you found it and I will see that it is properly disposed of.

• Options
    Orlik Golden Sliced (Consistently solid)
    Captain Black Midnight Gold - (or CB Gold)
    Frog Morton on the Bayou (The only FM that I really like)
  • Options
    LOL, Pappy I almost fell for that, sneaky, very sneaky. Mangoandy, you officially got Orlik in my Pipes&cigars shopping cart. I know I will try a FrogMorton but not sure which to have a go at....
  • Options
    @bphasty - Seriously, Frog Morton Cellar and On the Bayou are my two favorite Frog blends. I've tried the others but I only bought more of those two.

• Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice

Yeah, you'll probably get a different answer from everybody.

My 3:

McClellands Wilderness - love the complexity of this English/Balkan with the orientals and Syrian latakia.

Esoterica Dunbar - the one tin of this VA/PER I had of this blew me away. Yummy...

Frog Morton Cellar- my favorite of the Frog Mortons with it's topping, but they are all good. Mellow and tasty.

• Options
    Thanks everyone. I know technology does not necessarily equate to pipe-experience but I think that with YouTube (I prefer Pastor Pipes), Podcasts (like the Country Squire) & Websites (like this one) I've had a pretty good crash-course in Pipe Smoking. I had a pretty relaxing weekend with my Country Gentleman & even got my wife outside for a smoke together. Looking forward to trying out some ideas to Father the Flame of pipe-love up here in Kansas City & checking in on what everyone else is up to for the fall. I will definitely be stocking up on a few of your suggestions for our wintry months to come.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    Aromatic- Lane 1-Q
    English - Dunhill Early Morning Pipe
    Virginia - Orlik Golden Slice
    OTC - Carter Hall or Pince Albert
  • Options
    Dstrib, excuse the ignorance, but what is OTC? Orientals I would imagine. Thanks & great list. I've wandered what Dunhill would be worth the try.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    OTC - over the counter
  • Options
    @Bphasty - Orlik will not disappoint. Bayou has a tasty bit of Perique/Orientals that sets it apart from the other Frog Mortons.
    @dstrib - Great ranking.
    @PappyJoe What is it about the FMOTB that you like? Is it that Perique/Oriental blend
  • Options
    Dstrib- "over the counter" :D I'm kicking myself. Of course! My Grandpa Joe (not the Pappy Joe from the thread) used to keep a deck of playing cards in a tin of Prince Albert flip top.
  • Options
    Everyone is different and tastes do change; that said, Aromatic 1Q, McClelland's 5110 Dark English, and Carter Hall for a OTC Burley.
  • Options
    Just a suggestion. See if there is a Pipe Club near you, most newbies are very welcome and Everyone will want you to sample theirs.
  • Options
    @woodsman makes a great suggestion (find a club if you can).  If there's no club, see if you can at least find a tobacco shop that has a lounge where you might run into other pipe smokers.   When I started out, I never left a get-together (even impromptu ones) with less tobacco that I arrived with.  Now that I'm a little more seasoned am not one of the "new guys" in the hobby, I never leave with as much as I brought.  Giving and receiving in good cheer is one of the best parts of this hobby - if, of course, you can find members of the community out in "the real world," that is.

As far as "must try" tobaccos, I guess there are two ways for me to look at that.  If I'm talking to a newer pipe smoker, I'm not thinking about my favorite blends, per se, as blends that I think can be important guide posts to new smokers.  So for that:

1. Orlik Golden Sliced: is a good (and forgiving) introduction to flake/slice tobacco, as well as a good introduction to naturally sweet, non-aromatics.

2.  Hearth and Home Larry's Blend:  To me, this is the place to start with Latakia.  It is heavier than the Frogs, but not quite a lat-bomb.  If you like it but it's too heavy, if you like it but want even more smokiness, or if you can't imagine ever liking anything remotely similar, it will help you zero your tastes in to their place on the Latakia spectrum.

3.  Cornell and Diehl Autumn Evening OR G.L. Please The Virginia Cream:  these are both aromatics with excellent tobacco bases. They're great ways to experience an aromatic tobacco that doesn't rely on the topping for all of the flavor.

• Options
    Lane Limited Ready Rubbed, The Country Squire's Rivendell, Orlik Golden Sliced.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting, guys. Idbowman, I'll be sure to you send you my mailing address for some of that generous tobacco sharing ;)
  • Options
    Ordering tomorrow. P&C shopping cart currently looks like: Frog Morton Cellar, Orlik Golden Sliced, Presbyterian (Match), Lane BCA & Three Sails. Only three will make the cut but hard to decide which to save for later all of them have great reviews.
  • Options
    weedsnagerweedsnager Newcomer
    edited September 2016
    Try Prince Albert and carter hall, they are really good tobacco....if they charged $60 a tub instead of $35 and only produced it in limited batches people would rave about the stuff.....
  • Options
    Thanks Weedsnager, its in my cart for next month.
  • Options
    Of all the different tobaccos I've tried, I've had many that I would say were great. There's one that I would say stands apart. Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding. That stuff is just delicious. Every time I smoke it, it reminds me of the best, most delicious beef jerky that I have ever eaten. If I would sum that stuff up with one word it would be savory. Every time I smoke it I want to go grab my jar and start eating it. I know you wanted three, but I figure you got many great suggestions so I would just give you one that I thought really stands out above the crowd.
  • Options
    My 3 personal favorites are: Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey; Cult Blood Red Moon (what I'm smoking now) and Ol' Shenandoah Berry.
  • Options
    For the past month my three favorites are:
    St. Bruno Flake
    Erinmore Flake
    RO Series: Acadian VaPer

My top three change constantly. I guess I'm just fickled.