Home Pipes & Tools
Options

1st briar thoughts....

Anyone have thoughts on the best 1st briar to buy? I have a Cob & would like a Savinelli Bing's Favorite Rusticated but can't afford it. Is there a good generic or substitute or what would you recommend as a quality briar aside from Ol' Bing at a budget price? Thanks you guys are a fount of knowledge!

Comments

• Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    Have always liked the Bings Favorite shape. Which is a long billiard with a slight bend. Styles that are also pretty close to that are the Straight Billiard, Canadian and Lovat. Would you be willing to share your budget?
  • Options
    Well I don't have a dollar amount in mind but if Bing is roughly $100, I'd rather be around $free-$50ish.
  • Options
    Savinelli seconds are a good buy. I bought a Sav second Billiard for $65. It depends on what you want though. They smoke like a much more expensive pipe, but the outside is unfinished and patched. The billiard that I bought was delicate and small like the Bing .
  • Options
    I see three alternatives for you. First, you can get an estate. For your first venture, I would strongly suggest buying from a well-established,reputable dealer. I have purchased estate pipes from SmokingPipes
    BriarBlues
    SmokersHaven
    and have been pleased with all three.
    Now, if you have your heart set on a Bing's Favorite, you might have a hard time finding one as an estate. I don't know.
    Your second alternative is to save your money until you've got enough for  the Bing's.
    Finally, you can decide that you don't have to have a Bing's Favorite right now,and look at other Savs that might fit your budget.
  • Options
    I agree with @judandhispipe either look into estates or save your money until you can get the one you want.  If your wanting another pipe, in your budget, that is a churchwarden the MM Cobbit series has some nice ones and I keep hearing GREAT things about them.  However, if you have your mind set on the Bing's Favorite I wish you the best of luck.  I'd save a search on ebay and check it regularly as I have seen some before but not very often.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'll try another Savinelli estate for now but keep Bing on the wish list & the Shire Cobbit does look cool. All great ideas. I'm building a book case for a pastor friend maybe I can use that money towards the next pipe!
  • Options
    There are a number of less expensive Savinelli's that you can choose from. I would also suggest looking at some of the Nordings. I know some of them sell for under $80.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I did end up ordering a "Vintage estate Savinelli Bing's Favorite", saved about $40 or so off a new & will give me the chance to see if the style is too my liking.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    You guys talk about estate pipes like they're cheap, I always see them in the 250 to 500 range, LOL. I guess I'm looking in all the wrong places. Most Stanwells I see are under 100, and you can get some Big Ben's for under 100 as well. 

My suggestion though, it sometimes is best to wait. I bought an Ardor years ago that was roughly 350 and it was the best purchase I have ever made (pipe related at least). I eye spied this pipe for about 13 months before I decided to pull the trigger on it. I've hastily bought pipes in and have wished I just combined the prices of them and bought higher quality. That's just me though, everything is relative in this world, if you believe you own a 20 dollar pipe that smokes better than a 300 dollar Ardor, then that is a truth, for you. 
  • Options
    @mhajec - you must be looking online for estate pipes. I talk about them being cheap because I search flea markets, antique/collectible/junk shops and malls. To be honest I pass on a large number of pipes because they are roached out, damaged and unidentifiable. I also search through a lot of Dr. Grabow's, Medico, Yello Bole and Kaywoodies to find an occasional gem that is cheap and restorable. 

And occasionally I find a "higher" name pipe in some of the shops. With the exception of the motherlode I hit a couple of weeks ago, I pass on most of the pipes I see for a variety of reasons. I once passed on about 5 or 6 pipes that were stamped "Made in England" or "Made in London" because I couldn't identify them and they were in really bad shape.

My prizes have been an original Mauro Armellini Cavalier and a La Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro - both from the 1970s. I've also found a gourd Calabash, a Sultan Meerschaum, a Savinelli Oom Pah and a Savinelli Dry System.  

My most expensive find was $35.
  • Options
    I have several Dr Grabows,and I won't claim they smoke as well or better than the
    more expensive pipes,I will clam they smoke famously for me.They fit nicely in my hand.
    are comfortable to clench (when needed),and most importantly saved me a nickle here
    and there for more and better tobacco blends.I've gotten them off ebay and from antique
    shops.One of my favorite scoreswas a Century Old Briar "Old Vic",a 3/4 bent carved stack.
    It's light,easy to pack,and a dream to smoke.Cost me just under $10 including shipping in
    an ebay listing of three pipes.In that purchase I also picked up a Friar straight rusticated
    billard with  a silver band and a carved no-name briar straight pot.But keep in mind I look
    for the ones that need a little TLC,I get a better price and quite often enjoy the work I
    put into "My" pipes.
  • Options
    @mhajec, what sort of estates are you looking at in that price range? Must be estate Dunhills or Castellos or other higher-end pipes.
  • Options
    I think the estates he may be looking at are higher end already refurbished ones on line I have seen a few that are in the 200 to 250 range. i my self hit the antique store and can find some nice ones but they  need work.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I think from here on out I'll do the antique stores instead of online. I'm pretty nervous of the condition the ones I ordered from eBay may come in. I'm handy & can do some clean up/restoration. But if I have to end up ordering a whole custom stem from Savinelli then all the money I saved on NOT buying a new will be used up in repair costs.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    LOL, ok, you guys busted me. You're right, Dunhill's mostly, some other brands here and there, but Dunhill's are the majority of what I see. They seem to be the most popular offering when it comes to estate pipes online. Obviously I'm not saying buy them (unless that's what you're looking for and you have that kind of coin, lucky
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    Oh man, half my message got cut off...

Anyway, blah blah blah, I never see pipes in the antique shops around here, so I'm left to my own devices searching online. I guess I need to be shopping outside of my area or maybe it's not a bad thing I can't find them locally, LOL.
  • Options
    If you want to see reasonable priced estates,try places like Briar Blues
    I've purchased from him - he sells a variety of pipes, at a range of prices. Some need cleaning up at lower prices, but a majority are ready to go. Some etailers handle estates -I've purchased from both Smoker's Haven and SmokingPIpes.
  • Options
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @Bphasty is that the pipe you decided to get?
  • Options
    yep that's my Bing's Favorite, I'm really happy with it. if I can sit & enjoy a smoke, its usually with this one & if I'm working (mowing or woodwork) then its my MM Country Gent.