Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Latakia in aromatics?

Are there any aromatic blends that have Latakia in them? And/or have you blended any yourselves?

Comments

• Options
    Bald headed teacher, Boswells Bear blend, Barking Dog, Captain Black Black Sea, Sillem's Black are all fantastic aros with latakia.
  • Options
    There's the whole category of "crossover English" blends- latakia blends with a top-dressing. I like SG's Navy Flake in that category.
  • Options
    I have to agree with @thewanderingdude about Sillem's Black. Taste like it smells and it's good.
  • Options
    Ule's Irish Aromatic is a favorite, well worth a try.
  • Options
    Latakia is such a strong tobacco it overpowers any additional aromatic flavor it's mixed with it. In flavor, pouch and room note. I tried Captain Black Black Sea and Latakia is the only flavor I get. And I have an English blend I've tried using for experimental purposes and all I've managed to do when mixing it with some of my favorite sweet aromatics is transform them to an English blend. Also get some off-handed comments from my wife on the smell.  
  • Options
    "Latakia is such a strong tobacco it overpowers any additional aromatic flavor it's mixed with it"
    I really think that depends on the skill of the blender.The now-discontinued MacB Latakia had just a whisper of Syrian latakia, and it was barely noticeable. Sail Green and Ivory - both discontinued or just darned hard to find - were other tobaccos like that.
    The Frog Morton series - the two I tried,anyway -had a decided top flavor that overpowered the small amount of lat in the blends.