Home Ask an Expert
Options

Nicotine Tolerance

I've been smoking a pipe for about a year and still get a "tobacco haze" from the nicotine.  Other threads seem to point to using different types of tobacco to avoid this or taking in sugar.  Any advice if the "buzz" is not your goal?

Comments

• Options
    I can get that way from a strong blend like C&D's Haunted Bookshop. I won't have a bowl of HB or blends like it unless it's after a meal. Having a full stomach does wonders in handling stouter Nic blends.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper is on the money about having a full stomach to help with nic levels.
    I am a self-confessed nic wuss, and this does not bother me at all. I never smoked cigs; I smoke for flavor, not nic. I just avoid blends that are nic heavy. 
  • Options
    If you get the buzz, then you need to either smoke a lighter blend, smoke the nic heavy blend on a full stomach and/or smoke it slower. I'm personally okay with some of the stronger blends but there are some I won't touch now.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Agreeing with everyone.  Smoke on a full stomach, smoke slower.  I have learned a trick, it worked for me, if you start to feel sick put some sugar under your tongue for a minute and then drink it down with water.  Here's not the article I found years ago but its says the same thing http://www.cigarcigar.us/through-the-eyes-of-a-rookie-nicotine-sickness-or-turning-green/
  • Options
    I agree with everyone here that a full stomach is the way to go, or just being in a fed state in general.  If i just have a small bite to eat then I don't have a problem.  However, I think my tolerance is quite high.  I don't smoke often (maybe once or twice a month), but when I go to my pipe club meetings I can have 4 or 5 bowls over 5 hours without having issues.
  • Options
    If you're smoking makes you sick then you really should smoke a milder blend. Black Cavendish is steamed which makes it one of the mildest.
  • Options
    If you like the taste of some of the stronger blends, I'm not sure I agree with the suggestions to avoid them in favor or lighter options.  If you like them, and want to be able to enjoy them regularly, build your way up to it, smoking only partial bowls at first or by cutting the bowl with a similar (but less nic heavy) blend. 

My tolerance is pretty high these days, but I remember when some blends I enjoy would give me some trouble (Haddo's Delight, University Flake, Irish Flake)...if you're not a diabetic or avoiding sugar for other reasons, a little piece of chocolate can go a long way to preventing/relieving some of the problems.

• Options
    @idbowman - the dark chocolate with the high cacao percentage works best. It also has amount of sugar.
  • Options
    I smoked St. Bruno Flake on an empty stomach and got sick, lesson learned. I should know better but wanted to try it but didn't prepare for it.