Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Edward's Pipes in case you find any

I passed on the Edward's pipes I found at an antique/collectible shop yesterday because I had never heard of them. When I got home I did some research and here is what I've found so far.

According to pipedia.org, Edward's pipe is a United States brand that was originally produced in France. It doesn't say when they were first produced, just that Edwards developed a business model in the 1960s. The pipes were produced from "the finest Algerian Briar" using an oil cured process and natural finishes. The oil cured process is reportedly similar to the one used by Dunhill. They were made in both classic and freehand shapes.

Sometimes in the 1970s all the equipment and supplies were moved to the United States. I haven't found anything definitive but some suggest that Edwards pipes were the house brand pipe for Edwards Pipes & Tobacco in Tampa, Fla. I have seen suggestions that they are two completely different entities but I'm going with "they are both the same." 

At one time the pipes were made in several different locations in the U.S. Last reference I could find was that they are now made in Spain by not from Algerian Briar. Then I read on another forum that as of 2014 or 2015 that Edwards Pipes are no longer being made.

Every pipe smoker I've chatted with about Edward's pipes say that they were average to very good quality pipes.

All my research has done is made me more curious about these pipes.

Comments