Home Pipes & Tools
Options

A good smoking pipe?

Super new pipe smoker here @4 months or so.
I hear people talking about pipes that smoke good and pipes that do not smoke good. So far, I've only smoked a Missouri Meerschaum bent stem pipe and a Moonshine poker style straight stem pipe. I'm assuming they smoked good because I was able to draw smoke into my mouth without catching my beard on fire.
What exactly am I looking for in a good smoking pipe? Better yet, how do I know if the pipe I'm smoking would be considered a bad one?
As of now, the only thing I can consider bad, not enjoyable to me that is, is burly tobacco. (I think burly tobacco tastes to much like cigarettes. I quit smoking cigarettes 20 years ago and I can't stand cigarette taste or smell now.) but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the pipe itself. I mean, whatever vessel you drink your whiskey from does not alter the taste of the whiskey. Right?

Comments

• Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    The criteria I consider when buying is aesthetics, feel, and size.

Is it good looking, does it catch my eye and speak to me? If so, I want to feel it now. Does it fit good in my gand, can I rest it between my thumb and index finger without it feeling too bulky or like it's going to slip. The last thing I consider is how large the bowl is. Is it super deep or shallow, does it have a large inner diameter. Depending on what you smoke the most of, this could be a huge consideration, given that some tobacco smoke smokes better in a large bowl. 

Finally, if I decide to purchase it, then when I bring it home, I load a bowl and smoke it. Now, the first 3 to 4 weeks are not going to be shining examples of how luxurious the pipe is (though it will lend a hand in letting you know how it will smoke). It's once it is broken in that you'll be able to truly enjoy the pipe for what it is. Is the smoke cool and dry, does it gurgle (most pipes do gurgle, but how often and be an indicator of a s**t briar), does the pipe itself feel relatively cool to touch while smoking, does your tobacco burn even, does it offer you the experience that you deserve while relaxing with a good beverage and tobacco? If you've answered yes to most of these varying questions, then you chose a winner. If you answered no to themajority or all of them then you probably bought a piece of crap, but even so, you learned something (hopefully).

Now, this is just my process for buying a new addition to my collection. Your experience may vary once you embark on the road to briar. I've been smoking pipe for a while now, however, I am constantly learning new things about pipes and tobaccos on a daily basis. Welcome to the club brother, I hope you enjoy your new hobby.

• Options
    That's a great bit of info to look at in a pipe. Thanks for that. I want to expand my collection but I don't want to burn good tobacco money on a sh*tty pipe.
  • Options
    Sometimes whether it's a shitty pipe is personal preference. I have a couple of old Kaywoodies that smoke good. I have never had a bad Missouri Meerschaum cob either. I tend to gravitate towards Italian pipes and I don't have a bad one. If buying one at a shop I would say take a pipe cleaner to check that you can easily run it through the stem and into the bowl.
  • Options
    That is great advice @pappyjoe! I've never thought of that, and I feel stupid not to have.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @tomatobodhi same here, see, I learn something every day here
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @PappyJoe same here. I own two Peterson Standard System pipes and a few cobs, other than those, it's all Italian 
  • Options
    Solid advice from @mhajec. @pappyjoe is also correct in that a pipe that smokes poorly for one person may shine for another.
    A big factor in a briar pipe is how well the briar is seasoned. That, and basic engineering, make a better pipe. I always advise to buy the best pipes you can afford. Nothing wrong with being frugal - careful with your money - but don't be stingy. There is a difference.
  • Options
    When in doubt, buy a Savinelli. I can't remember seeing anyone complain about a poorly smoking Savinelli.
  • Options
    @SuppressedRage - When I started, my first tobacconist recommended that I stick with Savinellis too (but he was also a dealer) and like @PappyJoe I have never been disappointed (I have about 8 in my collection). So, that's a good place to start. They can be reasonably priced.
    Secondly, consider advice from a quality tobacconist/pipe shop. My local tobacconist sells estate pipes and he has been really good at helping me expand my collection. I choose by fit and feel in my hand and then let him help me differentiate quality of grain and briar and smokeability. He's never steered me wrong. I've splurged a few times and was glad I did.
    I've been burned a few times on eBay, so I have chosen now to buy what I can see and feel first.

• Options
    A friend of mine just gave me a Savinelli Freehand Autograph 4 a couple of days ago. I only know that because that's what's stamped on the bottom. I'm going to send it down to Boswell's to be cleaned and give it a once over before trying it out though. He got it from an old timer that smoked it quite often by the looks of the cake buildup in it.
  • Options
    My only local tobacconist is more so of a cigar shop, a piss poor one at that. Any time I've gone in to ask them anything they just kind of look at me funny and say stuff like, "yeah, I really don't know". I think they just hire anyone off of the street that's looking to make a couple quick bucks.
  • Options
    Most pipe smokers have their own favorites. I have  my Petersons for over  40 years and they're all good but, my Cobs are all good. I bought a number  of pipes from Wally Franks( Long gone.). My oldest pipe is a Medico That I bought at the PX in 62. All of them have fit my mood.
  • Options
    There are large groups of pipe smokers who collect Kaywoodies, Dr. Grabows and even Yello Bowls. They were all what are now considered drugstore pipes and they were good smokers or else they wouldn't have stayed in business that long. You can still by Dr. Grabows in some drugstores for under $30.

I am smoking an old Kaywoodie Stembiter from the 1950s that I bought and cleaned on Saturday. It is doing pretty good
  • Options
    @surpressedrage, Autographs are at the top (or close to it) of the Savinelli line. That should be a pretty nice pipe once you get it cleaned up.