Home General
Options

Best smoke so far

dstribdstrib Apprentice
Last week had a very enjoyable combination of a cob and Cherokee from the Country Squire. Probably one of my most enjoyable smokes. Just good favors no burning ash flavor or extra moisture. Was just wondering if anyone else has had great and memorable smokes and if so what combination.

Comments

• Options
    I had a similar experience recently with Old Toby from CS in one of my best briar smokers. Just a damn good smoke.
  • Options
    I inherited a Savinelli 320 from my father-in-law and tried Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky for the first time, in it.  It was a great combination of a great pipe and a tobacco type I had never tried before.
  • Options
    I sat on the porch of a mountain cabin one evening with a bowl of Squadron Leader and a bottle of 18 year single malt scotch. It was one of the most magical smokes I've ever had. It was a deep meditative experience and I swear time stood still.
  • Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    I think the most satisfying smoking I ever had was Esoterica Dunbar in two different Jacono apples, one straight the other slightly bent. Sublime... unfortunately, only have ever been to buy that one tin of Dunbar.
  • Options
    Loaded up my Comoy's K1057with Newminster's Sliced Superior Rounds for the drive home. Sweet and smooth listening to my favorite music and gently puffing along.
  • Options
    That's like asking which of my children I love the most. (it varies day to day). 
    Currently I like the Acadian VaPer and Rattray's Exotic Orange.
  • Options
    I was wrapping up my first read of Return of the King, and I had a bowl of Stokkebye's Navy Flake in my big Nording Freehand. The combination was just wonderful, and I wished it wouldn't end.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper - You should have been smoking Stokkebye's Nougat. I've read many places that Nougat is what they smoked when filming the movie.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe Really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper - I will pm you the link where you can read about it. 
  • Options
    Probably I'd have to say Scotty's Pancake mixture in my Butz-Choquin

-

Gardian
  • Options
    For the sake of not being lame I am going to say Frog Morton's Cellar or Haddo's Delight, but for the sake of honesty I have to say The Country Squire Cherokee. I just got out of the aromatic category, but Cherokee is something that I can smoke constantly (which I do). Though, The Pipe Rack (local Akron, Ohio shop) Burley Brite is a close second... #pureburley!
  • Options
    Gotta love the Burley!
  • Options
    Haunted Bookshop in a MM cob on warm fall day. It was my first pipe tobacco with perique and it was INCREDIBLE!
  • Options
    Sitting on the front deck one evening I filled my freehand (self made) briar with the legendary Penzance. It has become my all time favorite combination. Truly a transcendent smoke. Too bad this blend is so difficult to come by!
  • Options
    On consideration I really can't say that I have a favorite single tobacco, at this point my favorite English is McClelland 5110 Dark English, favorite Virginia Newminsters Sliced Superior Rounds, Favorite Aro depends on my mood. I have lots of tins as yet unsampled. I have my old favorite that I've managed to replicate that I still go to. Tastes change.
  • Options
    Sitting on the screen porch watching the sunset, listening to and watching the birds at the feeders, and smoking RLP-6 in a MM Corn Cob very, very slowly..........
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper -- Have you tried any of Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books, or Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles?
  • Options

My absolute favorite blend is Russ' Monthly "Warm-Up". There is just something about that blend that mixes with my body chemistry and strikes all the right chords. So after reading a post from @motie2 a while back suggesting mixing any aromatic blend with Molto Dolce makes everything better ... kinda' like adding bacon to any sandwich makes it better - so I blended a half and half mixture of Molto Dolce with "Warm-Up" and fired-up. Dormant taste buds that had been hibernating for decades reawakened and quivered in delight. An explosion of flavor expelled from my nostrils as I retro- haled and instantaneously experienced a flash of 'pipe smoking nirvana' which lasted throughout the smoke. This was the most pleasurable experience I've ever had without being naked and with a woman. It may never happen again ... maybe I was in the right frame of mind, or the planets were in proper alignment, or it could have been the hot steaming cup of Highland Grog I was drinking along with it that added to the flavor experience - but in that moment I knew I was the happiest pipe smoker on the planet.    

• Options
    Well said. Thanks.
  • Options
    Personally, I have a couple that are close  Cherokee, Rivendell, and Drew Estate's Grand Central are up there.  But I think TOP one as it stands right now is Green Dragon from the Country Squire.
  • Options
    @motie2 - I've read the first six books of the Thomas Covenant series. I tried reading book seven of the series but never finished it. 
    I would like to suggest the Dwarves series by Markus Heitz. I say like to because the quality of the books really suffered in the 3rd and I have not read the 4th. From what I understand the books were originally written in German and a different translator did the last two books in the series. My problem with the 3rd book was it paid too much attention to what I felt were minor characters instead of the main plot. Also the translation in some spots didn't help because it was noticeable that the person who was translating had not read the first two books.

• Options
    When I was younger I enjoyed the "Conan" series. The "Dune" Trilogy, and Keith Laumer's "Retief" series. Alan Dean Foster and Robert Sawyer are my contemporary favorites.
  • Options
    @motie2 I haven't heard of either series until you brought them up. I'll have to add them both to my "to-read" list!
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper -- The first Covenant trilogy by Donaldson knocked LOTR out of my top fantasy five. Then Patrick Rothfuss came along, and with the first two books of his Kingkiller trilogy, blew everybody away. Try both series..... You won't be disappointed 
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Have to agree with the good flavor and smoke ability of Country Squire ' s Cherokee Blend, although, I have grown really partial to their Parson's  Blend, usually enjoy a bowl 2 to 3 times a week. Another recent discovery was gleaned through a recommendation on This Pipe Life, Peretti's D-7485 Blend, it reminds me of an English blend I smoked many years ago, not a full on English but rather mild. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- Thank you, Sir, for recommending the Dwarves series by Markus Heitz. I had not heard of the series. 

See, another way we profit and grow from our associations in This Pipe Life!!!!!!
  • Options
    I have 2 favorite smokes.....the very last one, and the one I am going to smoke next. 
  • Options
    Mangoandy, Old Toby in an MT Churchwarden is hard to beat. It is a little wet, but if you put some out for a day or so, it dries to an acceptable level.