Home Ask an Expert
Options

Hot Pipe, How hot is too hot?

I find when smoking my pipes some of the get warm to the touch, not uncomfortable to hold. I know already that I am going to be told that I need to slow down. I was just wondering what is too hot. Obviously sense of touch will tell most people that something is hot way before the temp that I would expect briar will catch fire. I can usually smoke burley at a good pace it doesn't seem to warm the pipe as much. Virginia blends seem to smoke hot for me.

Comments

• Options
    I can't answer that because it varies based on the different materials used to make a pipe. For example, you don't even want to attempt to hold a clay pipe by the bowl because you will burn your fingers just as if you stuck them in the burning tobacco. 

I think that with just about all wood pipes that are well made, they are going to get warm but no so warm you can't hold the bowl. The same with meerschaum. My rule of thumb would be if you can't hold it comfortably then it's too hot. 
  • Options
    I will hold the bowl against my cheek. If it feels too warm I will let the pipe rest a few minutes and then go back to it. On new pipes without a good cake they may burn a little warm until a good carbon cake is built. 
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    I touch my pipe to the tip of my nose. I knowill when it's too hot if I can feel the heat through the wood. As far as other vessels, I am unsure. I only smoke wood and corn pipes.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I have heard the the cheek method that @thewanderingdude uses and I used to use it.  Now I just go by the feel in my hand, as @pappyjoe said if its to hot to hold... its too hot.  I have had that experience a few too many times.  I just put my pipe down smother it by covering the bowl and let it cool off.  I smother it because I smoke outside and when there is a breeze or wind it can keep it burning even without you puffing and it the main reason I have ended up with a hot bowl.
  • Options
    Nice and helpful post!
  • Options
    @drac2485 has the simple version - if it's too hot to hold, then it's too hot. Slow down, slow down, slow down. It's not a race. You don't want to be puffing like a train.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    Bout a month ago,I was having a bad day.I did things to a cob that are unmentionable,at least
    to those who don't get it.First,I grabbed my Carter Hall and packed that poor thing to the top.
    Now that in and of it's self ain't bad you say,well for 4  hours straight I smoked CH in that cob.
    As soon as the smoke was gone I knocked it out and reloaded.The tamper was glowing,and
    my fleas were dying from emphasima.By the time I got my head under control,I was holding
    onto a Missouri Meerchaum cigarette holder.I burnt that cob to ash.Tasted nasty BTW.And
    worst of all I went thru about 3-4 ounces of CH.I still like CH and I have more cobs,but when I'm
    PI** OFF,momma makes me smoke a cigar instead of me pipes.So how
    hot is too hot,I dunno I'm a freakin MORON for ruining a good cob.
  • Options
    @lostmason - Wisdom is acknowledging your faults and learning to do something about them. Next time use 2 or 3 different cobs so you don't risk burning them. 
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @lostmason at least it was a cob and not a nice briar.  I agree with @pappyjoe however, i'd do that to a meerschaum
  • Options
    If it is too hot to hold in your hand , its too hot, let it cool.
  • Options
    Anytime it feels too hot you also stand a good chance that the briar will start burning, So save your pipe, tongue, and roof of your mouth. Slow down.