Home General
Options

Posts.....Are they the same? Be an ADULT!

I have had and heard of so many complaints about people saying we already have that post or that is similar to another post.....SHUT UP Already, if it is not word for word the exact same, if the question is different, if it has more content then it is NOT the same, if it is similar then so be it but it is NOT the same!  If it helps someone then it is a good post, if it has multiple subjects and can get more answers then it is GOOD.
If you don't like it then move on, stop being a whiner, we are supposed to be adults here and we are supposed to be here to help others, what we are not here for is school house child like complaining or Bullies in the playground type CRAP! 
I make posts to help either myself or others, if you don't like that then go to another post, stop posting in my posts saying there is already a post that kind of but not exactly sounds kind of the same and might talk about some of what your post does but maybe might not have the same kind of answers then again might have one or two answers that might be the same....DUDE THAT IS B.S. and I am guessing them posts Might have been yours or might have been the post you wanted to make or maybe you just are butt hurt because you didn't do it first or maybe you liked the answers more in my post than the other....WHO CARES!!
The post is to help.....
Why don't you help by commenting an answer and not a whinny little complaint about it.

Yes this has gotten my feathers in a ruffle, NO it won't stop me from posting and commenting so YOU LOSE.  

I do not expect one comment on this post but I am sure one of the two or three people that have complained on my other posts will have something to say.

Comments

• Options
    yup...normal forum edicit should suffice.
  • Options
    Cranky, aren't we?
  • Options
    @thesubcon - did you mean etiquette by any chance? LOL
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    That did not take long before someones feelings were hurt.  The great thing about forums is the freedom of speech and the ability to have an open conversation.  The world in general would be  a better place if everyone would follow this simple rule.  

If you do not have anything nice to say, do not say it at all.  

With all forums that I have participated I have found that some posts will get lost and a new line of discussion will come up in its place.  Have also found that when forums get larger it does get harder to find old posts.  There are times topics along the same line get posted as after searching the forum a user may not find what they are looking for.  Some forums frown upon posting to stagnant discussions and would rather have a new discussion started.  The last thing I want to see is someone stop posting on this forum as you never know what they may bring to the discussion.  We all have different backgrounds and all react differently to things said. 

It may be time as  a community to setup some posting guidelines, If these already exist I have not found them.  you would think they would be a sticky post.
  • Options
    @dstrib - I agree with you. Maybe something created by the admin and locked so as to not allow open comments. (you can always message the admin with comments).

It could be named "Rules of Engagement"
  • Options
    Sounds good and love most of the comments. 
    @judandhispipe well after a few of my posts get attacked by two people that just want to complain and say this post looks kind of the same as another post....Yes I can be cranky, Just as thesubcon, dstrib and PappyJoe said some posts get lost, some comments are buried, so if you don't like the posts just move on, have some good old respect and posting etiquette. 
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    Get'm Pappy! It's the nit picking and b***hing and moaning that causes people to lose interest in the boards. Who cares if posts are similar or comments are mirrored. We're here to have fun, leave the school yard BS to your kids. Thanks for voicing your opinion @PappyJoe you're just saying what most of us are thinking.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe probably...that's what happens when you just fire stuff off
  • Options
    For those interested. This has been "kicked" up to the Admins for this forum. It's there place to write the guidelines the forum operates under. I have suggested they look at the guidelines other forums operated under. I say guidelines because we are all of legal age and should be adults even if we sometime forget to act like it.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    You know part of the problem here is putting more emphasis on starting new threads rather
    than on adding to threads that are in progress.Are we going to get fifteen different threads on
    "My Pipe won't stay lit".People want to advance to the next ranking so they are constantly
    looking for new threads to start.And quite often they inadvertantly mirror an existing thread.
    I agree with what was stated before,if you have an issue with the post,change the channel.
  • Options
    All I can say is that this is still a new forum and we have to give it the opportunity to grow and for the Admin to make changes that will help it to continue to grow. 

This isn't the only pipe smoker forum in existence and I can guarantee that if you visit them and do a search of a topic you will see multiple threads all talking about the same subject. It's going to happen. 
  • Options
    I agree, mirror threads happen, I also agree threads will start being the same the more there are and to advance up in rank they recommend to post threads and comment on threads, to me they are kind of making this issue, maybe if the would separate the threads into categories then they would be easier to find, not like they have them either but have them under different sections, if you click on general you find all general post, under tobacco talk then that subjects posts and so on...or people can stop complaining and just go with the flow.   LOL
  • Options

After taking a few days off and concentrating on other
    aspects of life, I am shocked to come back and see a thread like this. It is unavoidable
    that repetitive discussions/topics will be posted (many times unintentionally,
    however sometimes it seems that some people post repetitively just to earn
    points). I think that before posting a new discussion/thread members should be
    encouraged to use the search feature to see if they can find the answer they
    are looking for. This would save time for the inquiring mind as they may be
    able to find the answer to their question(s) much faster than waiting for others
    to respond to a new discussion/thread.

Personally, I have not observed anyone publicly post
    complaints about repetitive discussions/topics. What I have observed is that people
    cordially post that these discussions/topics are already being discussed in one
    or more discussions/threads. This type of response is actually helpful so that people
    can use the search feature to find these older discussions/topics and uncover
    additional information. What is not helpful however is telling people to ‘shut
    up’, ‘stop being a whiner’, ‘you lose’, or that ‘you are just butt hurt’.

I hope that in the future, members of this forum can
    communicate as adults and refrain from name calling, immature and ignorant behavior,
    and poor writing style. 

• Options
    @pipeprofessor - hence the need for some guidelines for the forum. I'm not calling for political correctness here because sometimes political correctness stands in the way of telling the truth. I do think that since we have demonstrated a common interest by being on here, that there is a base for civil discussion.

Besides, if I want to insult someone, I can do it and they would never know it.
  • Options
    It's a small enough forum, still, to be able to find threads.There's 27 threads in "Ask an Expert". One page. It's not that hard to find things. There's three threads on breaking in pipes on that one page. One is about Petes,which have a rep for being hard to break in, so it's more a Peterson thread than a "Breaking In" thread. But there's no need for more, at this point.
    Yes, folks get fancier titles for posting more. But a fancy title doesn't make you a valuable member of the forum. That comes from making posts or comments that contribute to the forum - whether through information, or building camaraderie, or just for having fun. Starting a new discussion, and, when it doesn't go anywhere, making multiple comments in that discussion, doesn't do anything to help the forum.
    I started a discussion that I thought might be useful on tobacco categories. It went nowhere. After a few days, I made a comment - it still went nowhere.so I let it lie. If it's not gonna go anyplace, so be it. 
    Smoke in peace.
  • Options
    I would rather see "rankings" based more on the number of "likes" what your posts receive than how many topics you can create. Then I also believe there should be a "dislike" button.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    @PappyJoe, wouldn't a "dislike" button be against what we are trying to teach the current generation, that everyone is a winner. We wouldn't want to hurt anyone's self esteem. I expect you will take this with the jest I intend for it being from a generation that realizes not everyone can be a winner and failing at something is one of the best ways to learn. That being said a ranking on the merit of what you bring to the table would be nice in addition to activity.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.” - Plato
  • Options
    @dstrib - far be it from me to worry about hurting someones feeling. I guess we could not do a dislike button and just judge a post by the number of likes it gets. 

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    @distrib....we all smoke pipes, thus we are all winners :)
  • Options
    What @pipeprofessor said. Only some of use are more winner than others.
  • Options
    I'd go with number of "Likes",myself.
  • Options
    Everyone will complain about something but it is obvious others will complain about anything.....If you read the posts you can tell who complains and makes comments that if you read them you can see they are just complaining and want to get noticed without it looking that way. 
    Comments about how a post should not have extra comments if it is going no where is stupid because some of them comments might be relevant or might just get the post going, if you make a comment and one person comments back and then you make another comment and two people comment back then the post is working so why would you not make another comment on that post?  Didn't know the person who makes a post is no longer allowed to comment on their own post?? 
    I tend to agree with PappyJoe, make a like button and maybe even a dislike button, monitor them buttons, both of them, it might show a pattern just like certain comments on pages do.  Some people just don't like others, might be no reason or it might be they are jealous of something, who knows but it does happen and them people will always do something to show they don't like you, might be little comments, might be complaining to others or something else, I have learned to let them people know that I know they don't like me and then tell them they might as well stop because I am going to go on doing what I do.  lol 
    As for searching topics....Not everyone loves PC's and the Net and not everyone can just click a button and know what to do or where to go, I see the search button but I do not see where the topics like Ask a Pro and Tobacco Talk and other subjects like that are separated, the only time I see that is when you start your topic....I do see each post lined up and you can see what there topics but they are not separated by topics in a Topic list, they are are bunched up and all together....unless there is a different search or filter I am missing, as far as searching a topic if you type in a certain topic and it doesn't come up with what you typed you would assume that topic is not there HENCE start a topic. 
    Computers are easy for some and hard for others, them people that can fly through these searches and topics should help others by posting links and showing others where they are, not just saying this is a repeat of another post as a comment and then leaving everyone hanging, if you see a repeat then show others how to get there, that is the true gentleman thing to do....we are not school kids, not everyone will win but we sure can help each other out to make things easier!

• Options
    I believe there is already a thread discussing people being upset about people being upset about similar threads... :)
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    Personally, I don't have much luck with searches either.I will try to look thru the threads to
    see if something has already been addressed.But as stated in another thread,I get intense
    headaches trying to read the screen so my searches and comments tend to brief and few.
    I would like to see a "like" button,but would also like to have a "reply" and an "quote" buttons.
    But we are now delving into the functionality of the site and have left off our complaining
    of others complaining.So with that I'm off to light a bowl of Captain Black (O) and try
    to get rid of the hotdog skewer behind my eyeball.Luck Brother,light up and enjoy.
  • Options
    When my local pipe club meets, I am glad we don't have a rule against talking about the same thing over and over! We would have dissolved long ago... like many forums where this becomes an issue. I am also glad we don't force new people to watch video archives of past meetings whenever they raise a topic that was discussed 8 meetings ago.
  • Options

We are pipe smokers, and as such should conduct ourselves with some tact.  That being said we as people also can choose to not be offended when someone does not use tact in a situation.  I personally believe both sides of the coin to be true.  Some people could be more be nicer, some could choose not to get offended by the actions of others.  Just my humble opinion.

• Options
    @Darmon, your so correct, so I say let this post die and go to the very back. 
  • Options
    If we had a moderator, they could lock the thread.
  • Options
    I think I can lock it or remove it, let me check but if not that should be an option for the person that started the thread....
  • Options
    idbowmanidbowman Newcomer
    edited August 2016
    @PappyJoe, I've always liked the approve/disapprove, thumbs up/down, like/dislike mechanics.  I used to frequent a nasal snuff forum who used that, and it seemed to serve as a better barometer of who the most productive, helpful, respected members of the community are than a simple post count.  But that's just my $.02...on the whole, I don't put much stock in those kinds of things, personally.

As to the content of the OP, multiple, similar threads have never really bothered me all that much.  As a forum grows, gains members, and increases content it's kind of inevitable, anyway.