Home Pipes & Tools
Options

A New "Old" Trick for curing a stinky pipe

Even an old dog like me can learn a new trick - even if it is apparently an old trick.
I was following a discussion on a different forum where they were talking about how to clean and freshen a estate pipe bowl. Like many others, I have always relied on the rock salt and Everclear method and often had to repeat it two or three times to get the pipe to smell good. 

Well, I was stunned to learn there is another older, well kept secret to remove the ghost of bad tobacco. Use damp coffee grounds. 
I have a old Linkeman that I have been tinkering with for the past couple of months but I just couldn't make it pass my smell test. A Linkeman is the predecessor to the Dr. Grabow pipe line by the way. 

Anyway, on Sunday morning I took one of my used K-cups and packed the slightly damp coffee grounds into the bowl and put it on the shelf. I checked it this afternoon and the grounds felt dry so I dumped them, wiped the bowl out with a damp cloth and let it dry some more. 

It smells good. The coffee grounds seems to have worked.  And no, putting water in a briar pipe doesn't damage it.

Comments