Home General
Options

Game and Fish Recipes

There have been some good comments on threads about game and fish. I figured we could have a place to share recipes.

Comments

• Options
    You had to go there didn't you?
    Maybe I'll share some with you guys. 
  • Options
    I love making/eating this stew in the fall on a Saturday while watching Tennessee Football. Works well in crock pot also

Taste Of Autumn Stew

T flour
    1 t salt
    1/2 t peper
    1 1/2 -2 lbs venison (cut into 1 inch pieces)
    2 T vegetable oil
    2 C apple cider
    1 C water
    2 T vinegar
    1 t dried thyme
    2-3 large carrots (cut into 1 inch pieces)
    2-3 celery rib  (cut into 1 inch pieces)
    2-3 large potatoes (cubed)
    1 large onion (sliced)

1. In a bowl or bag combine, flour, salt and pepper; add venison and toss to coat
    2. In a large stockpot, brown venison in oil
    3. Add cider, water, vinegar, and thyme; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
    4. Add the carrots, celery, potatoes and onion; return to boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

• Options
    Ill be making my Jalapeno Dove Poppers in a couple weeks. Take the breast meat off the breast bone and you end up with these little medallions of meat. Take half of a seeded jalapeno and stuff with cream cheese. Then wrap the boned dove breast around the jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese. Then wrap the whole thing in bacon, sprinkle with pepper and chuck it on the grill. Indirect heat works best as the bacon likes to flare up a bit. Ill tell you what, you better have your limit, your son's limit, and your buddies too, because they go quick. Even people who never eat game meat love these things. They are great for opening day because you don't need to marinate them, you can come straight from the field eat with a couple of adult beverages. 

IMG_1275
  • Options
    Thought I would repost this from another discussion.

I like redfish or drum (red or black drum) prepared as we call it "On the half shell". 
    We catch them, fillet them but leave the skin and scales on the fillets. 
    You put it scale side down over charcoal with some wood chips, salt, pepper and maybe a little garlic with a sprig or two of thyme on top and close the lid. 
    Let it set for 15 or 20 minutes before checking. 
    If it flakes easily with a fork, it's done and you just squeeze a little lemon juice on it and serve.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    My buddies fiancée makes the best burgers, I finally got her recipe... ssshh, don't tell on me.

1 lbs ground venison
    1 egg
    3 Tablespoons BBQ Sauce (I've seen her using Kraft Original)
    1 Tablespoon mustard
    1 Tablespoon hot sauce (she uses this tremendously cheap chalula sauce)
    2 Tablespoons parsley
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon dried minced onion
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Mix ingredients, gently, in large bowl by hand. Shape into 1 inch patties. Cook 8 minutes each side.
  • Options
    Fried speckled trout (the saltwater version of trout, not that kind people up north throw flies at and then kiss goodbye when they release it into the water).

1/2 cup of flour
    1/2 cup of cornmeal
    1 egg
    1/4 cup of yellow mustard
    6 speckled trout fillets (and yes, remove the damn bones)

Mix the flour and cornmeal on a paper plate. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic powder. 
    Beat the egg with the yellow mustard.
    Dip the fillets into the egg/mustard bath and then coat in flour/cornmeal. Set the fillets on a piece of wax paper but not touching each other. Let them sit for at least 5 or 10 minutes

Take a cast iron skillet, add about 1/4 inch vegetable oil and heat.
    Place the fillets in the skillet two at a time so they are not touching. Cook until golden brown and then carefully turn them over and cook until that side is golden brown.
    Should only take about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with the rest of the fillets.

Take a crusty loaf of french bread and slice in half lengthwise. Spread mayonnaise on both sides. Place the fillets end-to-end on the bottom half of the loaf, cover with shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and sliced onions. Add the top half of the french bread. Slice into serving size portions. Eat. Drink Beer.

• Options
    I have never seen the mustard in the egg before. Sounds amazing!

I will definitely try this one (on a freshwater fish).
  • Options

Venison Stuffed Bell Peppers

1/3 cup uncooked red onion, chopped   

2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce   

1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese   

1 pound(s) uncooked venison    

3/4 cup(s) cooked white rice   

2 tsp table salt   

14 1/2 oz canned stewed tomatoes  

4 (Large) bell peppers

• Cut off tops of peppers; remove seeds and membrane.
    •  Pre-cook green peppers in boiling salted water about five minutes. Drain upside down on paper towel, sprinkle inside with salt.
    • Brown venison and onion, 
    • Add tomatoes, rice, salt, and pepper, simmer about five minutes.
    • Add cheese. incorporate well.
    • Stuff peppers.
    • Stand upright in baking dish.
    • Bake, uncovered in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
    • While still hot sprinkle with more cheese.

• Options