Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Briar or Meerschaum

What is your preference? Briar vs Meerschaum and why is it your preferred pipe media.

Comments

• Options
    That's like asking which of my children I love most. I love all four of them because each of them has their own strengths and weaknesses.
  • Options

@pappyjoe ok point taken, I guess I should have asked to express your thoughts on their strengths and weaknesses.

• Options
    Briar is hands down the best wood for pipes in my opinion. It burns cooler than pear root, cherry or other hardwoods. Once you have a good cake built up in a briar, you can get a slow even burn down to the bottom of the pipe. I have never personally noticed any additional flavoring added because I was smoking a briar (not counting ghosting). I'm talking the noticeable sweetness that smoking a cob may give some tobacco. The only negative I find with briar is that some tobacco will leave a ghost behind that takes an effort to get rid of. This ghost will affect the taste of other tobacco you smoke in that pipe. That's also why some people have individual pipes dedicated to certain tobaccos.

Meerschaum, I find smokes cooler than briar and, if properly cared for, does not impart any ghosts or other flavor to tobacco. Properly cared for in this case is simply wiping out the bowl after smoking to prevent or retard cake build-up. I don't believe cake is an absolute no-no in meerschaum but by keeping the cake to a minimum you get more of the tobacco flavor when smoking. While I have never had one of my meerschaum break or crack, it is easier to crack a poor quality meerschaum than a poor quality briar. That is not necessarily an indication of poor workmanship on the part of the carver but is more the problem of hidden faults in the material itself.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe Exactly what I was looking for, you are a wealth of knowledge sir.  Never have owned one but the Meerschaum I know it makes a somewhat fragile pipe, How careful do you have to be with them?  Is it something on par with a ceramic? more or less durable?
  • Options
    @darmon - a good meerschaum is not fragile. Again it goes to the quality of the meerschaum and the craftsmanship of the carver. I once purchased a miniature meerschaum for sampling tobacco and the stummel broke. That was because it was extremely thin. On the other hand I have a CAO meerschaum I received as a Christmas gift in 1984 that I still smoke regularly. Lost the case a long time ago so the pipe has bounced around in my desk, in the glove box of my vehicles and in a filing cabinet. It's a little scrapped up in places but still smokes just as nicely as it did in 1984. 

I know some people would be horrified to see a meerschaum in other than pristine condition but to me it's a damn pipe and not a work of art.
  • Options

Meerschaums tend to smoke a tobacco with less added flavor than a briar that adds a little flavor. Draw on an empty briar and you'll probably notice a not unpleasant taste or scent that you wont notice in meerschaum that has been wiped after each use.

I enjoy both types equally.

• Options
    I agree with @PappyJoe that briar is the best smoking pipe. And best of all it's durable. I would never have considered taking a Meerschaum pipe to work for fear of dropping it. I only smoke my Meerschaums when I'm sitting in the yard over grass or in the carpeted family room at night when my wife is asleep and it's safe to smoke indoors. I won't bring the pipes into the garage because of the concrete floor.   
  • Options
    Very interesting about the Meerschaum.  I only have briars, one ebony and cobs in my current rotation. My wife would lock me out of the house if I spent $300+ on a freaking pipe!
  • Options
    I prefer briar. Pros and Cons to both. I have 2 meerschaum pipes and both smoke great. However, the overall practical aspect and smokeabillity of briar makes it superior overall... in my opinion.
  • Options
    You guys may have already covered this, but briar should be allowed to rest between smokes, meerschaum absorbs the "juices" and, for the most part, is ready for a reload right away after a quick wipe out. Personally, I love both but for different reasons...
  • Options
    I have a liking for both but dropped Meerschaum often breaks so I leave them home. I have two Meerschaum lined Briars that often travel with me.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ - Just my two cents.
    I have known pipe smokers who have rested their briar pipes for as long as it takes to wipe out the bowl and re-load it with tobacco. My grandfather was one of those who smoked the same briar pipe all day long. While meerschaum is a mineral and it is porous, I wouldn't go so far as saying it absorbs the juices anymore than a briar. Briar is a wood and wood is porous also.
  • Options
    Nice looking pipe. 
    I have probably 10 or 15 pipes my wife either gave to me as gifts or found while walking around antique shops/flea markets. She gave me my first meerschaum for Christmas in 1984. I still have it and smoke it. 
  • Options
    You guys are lucky.  That is one of the benefits of having a significant other, sometimes you get a free new pipe.  Me, not so much.  I have been gifted a few cherished estate pipes though.  🤔I guess I did get a new small clay pipe as a gift a few years ago.  Dang, another new pipe I haven’t smoked.  I guess I’ll have to scare it up too.