Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Colored/Painted Pipes

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with a colored/painted pipe?  Do they hold up over time and use?

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I have a churchwarden, it was a basket pipe, that has started to bubble and the finish is peeling.  I realize now that it was a paint job and not stain.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @drac2485 I may be cheating myself but I stay away from color on pipes for that exact reason. Years ago I bought a pipe and after about two months of use, the "stain" began lifting off, just like yours. Never have had that issue since.
  • Options
    I have a couple of stained pipes. I just recently acquired a blue Savinelli. I also have a black stained Stanwell. No problems with them, but I have been warned against using hand buff 'miracle' pipe waxes. Several people have told me that they have solvents in them (that allow waxing without heat) that can mess up your stain - especially the heavy color-stained pipes. I haven't personally had that problem, but it makes sense what they are saying. I am planning to wax the black Stanwell with carnauba and a polishing wheel when the time comes. It is something to think about if you plan to wax a color-stained pipe... I wouldn't buy a color-stained pipe that is rusticated or has recesses of any kind, since they are very hard to polish on a wheel.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @mhajec  It was my first pipe and a basket pipe, I even knew then how cheap it was.  It doesn't bother me I was actually surprised to find grain under it when it started coming off.
  • Options
    I have a few colored pipes. If they are waxed correctly and not smoked hot they are usually good to go. I did have one that leaked all over my hands but the manufactorer corrected the issue ASAP.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    I have an old "estate" Doctor Grabow Viscount that is painted orange.
    It is in fine condition,no cracks or pealing.There is a bit of charring on
    the rim, but that's not due to the paint.On another site a member
    cut a DG in half to see just how the tars absorbed into the briar.
    From that pipe,it looked as though only an eighth inch or less was
    affected,taking into consideration the charring.The idea was to prove
    or disprove that the briar needs to breath.
  • Options
    I have a Big Ben Jade bent apple and about a third of the green tint is gone in places. Don't know what could have cause it to wear away like it did. There is a nice wood grain under neither if and when it completely wears away - and it still smokes like a champ. I was going to send it out to be refinished then after receiving the estimate I reconsidered when my wife discovered another Big Ben Jade pipe (different style) at Pipes And Cigars for only $10.00 more than it would have cost me to have my old pipe refinished. So I bought it instead. I'd still like to get the other pipe looking like new and might consider doing it myself once I get up the nerve. In reality I really have nothing to lose ... and might actually learn something in the process. From what I've seen on the internet when watching pipe makers stain a pipe it appears they don't actually use traditional wood stain ... but leather dye. I guess I'd have to go to a shoe repair shop to locate green leather dye. Does anyone have any suggestions that might be helpful is and when I try and tackle this project. Or should I simply leave it to the professionals? And smoke it as is.  
  • Options
    I have a bright red one of those Graphite Pipes called "The Smoke" it never performed well for me. I keep it as a reminder not to buy something until you get some extra information. You can buy leather dyes on line if you can't find what you like. Most of the people that dye pipes apply 2 layers setting fire to the first one while it's wet, 
  • Options

I would have to say that of the colored pipes I have most have not held up cosmetically as well as regular wood grained pipes. I have a Venturi white bent pipe that has several spots on the pipe where the black primer or base coat is showing through. And my most recent problem with a colored pipe is with my Big ben Fantasia. An absolutely beautiful pipe with a gray and white marble finish that also fell victim to the black primer coat showing through. Right around the rim of the bowl where all pipes can become stained from the burnt residue, I attempted the spit technique to clean off the stains as I do with all my pipes. A little spit and a light rub with a soft cloth and the stains remove quite easily. But in the case of this pipe a bit of the marbleized finish rubbed off along with the stains revealing the black primer color underneath. I tried applying a similar color to the area to cover the flaw but it may have made it even more noticeable because it's impossible to replicate the marbleized paint effect. So my next plan is to see if I can find some decorative silver or stainless steel ring to (similar to a wind cap - but without that actual perforated cap) that fits into the bowl with just enough of a lip to cover the damaged area around the opening. 

Fantasia Pipe
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Metal rim caps are found on pipes by Peterson, Barling, Ashton, Chacom, and Tsuge, but I've not found them for sale separately from pipes. Please let us know if you find sme.
  • Options

I just want enough to cover the area around the discoloration. The paint I tried using doesn't match ... and I'm afraid to even clean the usual tobacco stain for fear more of the black will show. So my only option is some decorative metal ring around the opening with just enough of a lip to conceal the discoloration and be able to take the flame.

• Options

If all else fails I guess I'll simply go this route.

Pipe Wind Cap

Pipe Wind Cover

Pipe Wind Cover

(Image 1 of 1)