Home General
Options

Pipe Vs, Cigar?

OK This is an all out battle...
What wins?
Is it a tie?
What do you like best and what is easiest to smoke?
People you know you want to know this question so everyone needs to say what they like and why they like it, if you like both then say so. 
This is just for fun so lets keep it civilized.

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I like the pipe the best as it is something I have to slow down to do and I find it very relaxing.  However, I find cigars the easiest as you don't have to pay a lot of attention to how you smoke, if you smoke to fast it is over faster.
  • Options
    I agree about the slowing down and relaxing yet Cigars can take a couple hours depending on what you smoke, I find pipe more mellow and aromatic yet the cigar can be tasty and smell good as well, I think it is a toss up with me because it all depends on my mood and the situation. 
    As for paying attention to smoking a cigar, a good complex cigar it is best to smoke slow and pay attention, the smoke changes as you smoke it but if you smoke it to fast you can get a harshness from it, if you do ever find your cigar getting to strong and/or bitter light it and blow out, you will see a flame shoot out of it, keep blowing until flame is gone and then suck back in, you will find it is mellow again....unless it was harsh from start, if so throw it out and get a good cigar.  lol
    If you think about it Cigars and Pipes share certain things while smoking, one of which is not to smoke it to fast! 
  • Options
    @wolf41035 I agree with you on most of what you said. I have made cigars last for quite a while when I take my time with them and I have some Ogres of cigars that I wish to kill after 2 hours (Asylum Ogres 7x70).  Cigar smoking isn't mindless by any means, I just notice that I have to pay more attention when smoking a pipe to keep it going.  If I get to much into lala land I'll not realize my pipe isn't producing much smoke and that I need to change something or else I have to relight (not that I mind when that happens).  On a cigar I normally can tell when it goes out while I am "smoking" talking and didn't puff enough.

One thing though that I like more about a pipe is that if it goes out I can pick it up a few hours later (or the net day) and still have a nice smoke.  Cigars, not so much, I have never had a good experience relighting a previously smoked and not finished cigar whether a few hours or days later.  I know it has to do with the tars and other chemical compounds being drawn into the foot of the cigar as you smoke.
  • Options
    Here is my take: Both win, depending on situation.
    When I want to occupy my mind and body with something soothing, following a ritual and having something to pay attention to: Pipe Wins.

When I want to talk and be social, or not have too much to think about and just veg out: Cigar Wins
  • Options
    Thats like asking what kid I love more sheesh 
  • Options
    LOL  Agree with all of you.  Both are great, just wanted to see what everyone else thought.
    @drac2485 When a cigar goes out or you are getting closer to the foot (just over half way) try lighting it and then blowing out while lighter is still lit, it should blow a flame out, keep going until you see no more flame coming out, after that put lighter down and take a short draw, it should taste close to what it did when you first lit it up. As for putting them out and lighting them later....Well the best thing to do is what I said above about lighting and blowing flame, then cut the end off about 1/4" or more from the burning end, if it is a great cigar it will be good when you light it later. Your right though, Cigars are better smoked to the end and pipes can be laid down and smoked later and still be the same.
    Loving these comments, also hoping some of my comments helps some of you.
  • Options
    If you are getting a blue flame from the cigar when you blow out then the cigar has not aged enough you are burning ammonia at that point its a sign of a cigar that needs more time 
  • Options
    @wolf41035 I was taught the trick to blow out while lighting a long time ago as it helps to get rid of some the chemicals and soot that start when lighting.  I was told to do it right after toasting then one lick of the flame, if needed, will normally light it right up and it does make a difference to me.  No matter what I have tried though I have never been able to pick a cigar up and finish it later so I just smoke them through.
  • Options
    @Abreathawayfromglory yeah and best to throw it out if it has ammonia!
    @drac2485 I have had a couple I could light back up not many but a couple, I do have to say most of the time 99% actually, I finish the cigar when I light it.  LOL

• Options
    Why does it have to be either/or? That's a false dichotomy.
  • Options
    Ok how many people on here take your cigar nub when it's to small to hold and put it in the pipe and smoke it. I have yet to do it but my uncle use to do it all the time.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe How true, I just wanted to see what others thought, I think they both are great and both have their place.

@Abreathawayfromglory Never done that myself nor know anyone who has but I have and know others who have smoked them down to nearly nothing, to the point of needing a poker to hold them.  LOL

• Options
    @abreathawayfromglory, I understand that some of the old-timers used to do that.  Like many things those guys used to do, I have no desire at all to try it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Looking for Opus X cigars, I think I found a shop North of me that has some at decent prices.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I would say cigars, because at the moment I am just getting into pipe smoking and I have a lot to learn.
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer

Each offers it's own enjoyment to the smoker and each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.  I found that, for me, smoking a cigar while fishing is much more preferable to smoking a pipe.  While at home, enjoying the back patio, I prefer smoking a pipe. 

I have smoked cigar nubs in my cheapie pipe many times.  I'd say that comes down to personal preference.  I'd rather not toss a cigar nub so I use the pipe to finish it off.

• Options
    It's more about the pipe than cigars with me.  The flavors in pipe tobacco are a tad more pronounced to my palatte and it is far easier to ventilate away pipe aromas than it is cigar aromas.  I enjoy my local B&M cigar shop to hang out with the boys and revisit cigars, but I am far more into pipe smoking these days.
  • Options
    I never really got into cigars although that's the first thing I smoked at 12. ( Hava Tampa Jewels, 5 cents apiece.)
  • Options
    tim12stringtim12string Apprentice
    I am partial to the aroma of a pipe. But on occasion I do enjoy a BIG hand-rolled cigar. 7-9 inches with a 55-70 ring gauge. Then I need a nap! LOL
  • Options
    Cigars for a simple smoke when I don't want to carry everything for my pipes  But if I want Aromatic I go to my pipes.  Cigars are easy to lite, easy to smoke and you only have the cigar or cigars and a lighter with a cutter built into it, nothing else needed.  lol  Pipe you have tobacco, pipe, tamper or finger (attached to me and hope to keep it that way) lighter, possibly wind cap, and at time you have to lite it multiple times.  Plus you have to let it cool or use another pipe if you want more, the Cigar gives you more and another one is still lees to manage that all the pipe stuff.  Don't get me wrong I LOVE BOTH! 
  • Options
    a cigarette = a comic
    cigar = magazine
    pipe = a fine novel
  • Options
    I consider myself a pipe smoker who also smokes cigars. Each has a place for me: flavor and pace is a pipe. Cigar requires less attention as others have said, therefore affords you time to attend to others. Cigars have some variation in taste, but lots more offered by pipe tobacco.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    @smansewer That is a cool saying.