Home Ask an Expert
Options

Cleaning Pipes, burning in new pipes and basic pipe care (storage)

Come on all you experts, people need to know these things so please comment on theses questions so we can help our new brothers and sisters.

Comments

• Options
    PapyJoe posted in another post that coffee grinds slightly wet do wonders for old smelly pipes, going to have to try this!  Best if right out of the coffee maker because they are wet and hot but not to wet.
  • Options
    We already have one thread on breaking in pipes in this section.  We also have a thread on cleaning estate pipes. Why do we need another?
  • Options
    If you don't like it then don't comment, the reason is to consolidate and the cleaning part was for basic cleaning, also did you not see storage of pipes? Why do people have to complain about new posts?  If they are not the exact same post word for word then they are different! 
    We are here to help each other not to complain, if a post puts multiple categories together in one place then it is helping people!
  • Options
    Alright children. Let's quiet down. Yes, I created a post that was about a different technique for dealing with a stinking pipe. I didn't post it in this discussion or any of the others because while it was technically the same, it was a more specific aspect of other threads and therefore it was different. 

IN MY OPINION (all caps for emphasis) if we start limiting the threads based on has anything ever been said about the subject before, then the forum is going to eventually become stagnant and boring.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I couldn't agree more, while your posts is on old estate pipes mine is more general and more open to multiple subjects, I loved your post and added your basic content here with your name on it, I thought it was great but just part of what this post is about.
    AT Complainers -  I made a special post for you, I have had a couple people complain about two of my posts, they act like school kids so in my new post I treated them like school kids.
    At everyone - If a post is exact word for word I can see saying something but if a post helps people and has more content or is a little different then it has merit and should be helped not hindered. 
    Glad we have people like PappyJoe, Drac2485 and a bunch of other good guys and gals in these forums and not everyone has to complain and act like they are in school still.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @wolf41035 and others I usually just link the other post so the information is shared as I am finding it a pain to go through old posts and find things as there is no order to them, they are ordered by the most recent comment so some are buried in one page or the other.
  • Options
    Oh and before I forget I after smoking when resting my pipe I store it stem up so any moisture runs into the bowl not the stem
  • Options
    @pappyjoe sorry I had that in a tab I must have missed it.  The text boxes don't make copy and pasting very easy as it can mess up the font and sizes.  At least mine does.
  • Options
    So out of what I have learned...

Breaking in a pipe - Your trying to build a cake on the walls of a wooden pipe (DO NOT BUILD CAKE IN A MEERSCHAUM it can break the meerschaum)  Smoke what you want while doing this but there are some blends that might work better than others, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Lane Ready Rubbed, due to the higher sugar content in the mix.  Some say to smoke the bowl in sections, 1/4 to half the bowl a few times and then more of the bowl slowly, as it is suppose to help the cake build more evenly since most don't normally smoke a full pipe all the way to the bottom of the bowl.  Some say smoke the whole pipe as it helps build the cake.  So I say do what you want just don't burn the house down =)

Cleaning- Pipe cleaner through stem after every smoke (some prefer to dip it in alcohol first as it cleans better).  Clean out all the dottle in the bowl and then wipe with pipe cleaner.  Some say to shake the ash left in the bowl with your thumb over the top to distribute the ash throughout the bowl and let it sit a bit, as it help building the cake, then wipe out the bowl. I also always use some spit and a cloth to wipe the rim to get the tar and stuff off. I will also wipe down the pipe to get any dirt or ash of the pipe as well. Then I store the pipe stem up for at least 48 hours before putting away (if its not in my normal rotation).

Resting a pipe-  Some say to rest a pipe (not smoke it) for 24-48 hours after you smoked it last.  Some say a pipe is for smoking.  I don't smoke enough to have a learned experience with this.
  • Options
    Great posts everyone and the links are also great, that is why we are here, to share and learn and that means sharing posts and information.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    Well I guess I'm just an old slob.After a smoke I will use the spoon on my pipe tool
    to clear out the dottle.run a cleaner into the bit and shank and hang it in the rack,stem
    down.After a month or so I will take those pipes I smoke the most and do a deep
    cleaning.Salt and alcohol in the bowls for 24 hrs,bristled pipe cleaners to scrub out the
    bit and shank,and a quick polish with an old mechanics rag.As far as building a cake I
    smoke Carter Hall for the first four or five bowls and the put it the rack to get smoked
    as I grab it.I don't have a specific rotation of pipes or blends,I go where the spirit leads me.
    As I've said before on an estate pipe,I will clean that bowl down to bare briar and break
    it in like a new pipe.On my pipes I'm not so picky,I will leave a thin layer of cake almost
    paper thin,and let it air dry for 2-3 days.I'm up to 20 briars and 3 cobs as well as 3
    meers,so I have pipes clean and ready for me at any time.
  • Options
    @LostMason I wouldn't say your a slob lol  we each have our ways of cleaning on my personal pipe I do not clean it as much and put what I want in it no matter what blend I had in it before.  The pipes I find and buy get a thorough cleaning.  
    If I am trying a new blend I will clean the pipe so I can really get the full taste of the new blend.  I think I am going to use 4 main pipes, two for aromatic blends and two for other blends and maybe a fifth pipe for what ever blends I find that I have never tried or a standard blend I favor??  LOL
  • Options
    To be honest @Wolf41035 , I've meer that I use for new blends.
    A quick wipe and a cleaner thru the bit and I don't have to worry
    about ghosting it.I even smoked M-79 in it with not ill effects.
  • Options
    @LostMason I am not sure why I never thought about that but darn that is a great idea!
  • Options
    Made a homemade pipe and drilled the mortise hole too high.  Any hope to fix?
  • Options
    @DanielCSan9592 ,Pics would help,is there enough shank to trim it and redrill?
  • Options
    Don't think so but I'll take a good look at it and see if there are any salvation options.
  • Options
    If needed you could trim off the shank,that is if your happy with the drilling into the bowl,insert a delron tube and put an extension onto it for the shank.Think along the lines of the pipes that have a briar bowl with a bamboo shank.
  • Options
    Wanting to make a pipe but I want to go extreme, I want dark blue or Blue and White mixed bowl with a black or very dark brown stem.  Anyone make custom pipes?  Any clues on how I should start this project.
  • Options
    I would start with a couple of pre-drilled briar blocks. I buy mine from Mark Tinsky at http://www.amsmoke.com/. The briar is relatively in expensive and if you are like me, it will take a couple of blocks before you get it looking like you want. Then I would read up on what they used to stain the briar with or what paint is safe. You can probably find that on one of the other forums. You could also ask Mark Tinsky when you order the briar from him.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe Thanks I will try that, might order a few.
  • Options

An old method of swirl painting was pour an amount of both colors in a thin stream into a pan of  water deep enough to submerge the pipe bowl. Swirl the water to make a pattern and dip the bowl into the water. The paint should attach to the pipe, pull out and allow to dry, I used this method on a model sailplane wing back in the 60's. Groovy man.

Another method is to paint the bowl one color, attach a piece of Lace and spray contrasting color. Used it on a panel on the hood of an Olds 442. Looked great.

• Options
    So once I get my pipe carved and shaped the way I want it and use some fine sand paper on it so it is baby butt smooth.....What should I use on it for final coating?? Wax?  Clear coat of some sort??  They should sell complete kits that go from start to finish. 
  • Options
    @wolf41035 - when you get to the point you are ready for fine sand paper, be sure you go to a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels and get the fine sand paper there. What I found at Lowes and Home Depot stops at about 600 grit. The stuff at the craft stores start at 1200 grit and goes up to about 20000 I think.

I know some makers lacquer their pipes but I have no clue what they are using. You may have to do some research to find what is best. I do know that if you want to stain or color your pipe, you need to use something like a leather dye instead of stain or paint you get at the hardware stores. 

I would suggest using vermontfreehand.com/finishing to find your supplies.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe Thanks again, your always a big help and I appreciate it.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    As far as dying your briar, I have heard that leather dye is the way to go. Like the kind sold here

• Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    So it won't let me post the link, awesome...

The dye company is named Fiebings
  • Options
    I looked it up and yes leather die seems to be the go to if you want colors in your pipe, not sure what I am going to do with it until I start carving, filing and sanding it....not even sure if I will even do all three steps.  LOL