Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What's your method for rehydrating tobacco....

Or do you even bother.
Over the years I have tried several different methods. One old timer I knew back in the 70s would put a slice of apple in his pouch. Another pipe smoker I met in the 80s in Florida would put a piece of orange peel in his tobacco when it started getting too dry. A lot of people by those little buttons and use them to keep their tobacco fresh. And, I have know people to just dampen a paper towel and put it over their drying out tobacco.

A few years back, I just stopped worrying about it as I found some tobacco smoked better the crisper it got. Now, I keep just about everything in mason jars except for a one or two tins I know I'm going to use before they get mummified.

Comments

• Options
    I tend to lean towards the mason jars as well.
  • Options
    I don't smoke nearly fast enough to risk it, so I put everything in jars once the seal is broken.

Although, I do have one 8oz bag of tobacco that is going to take up like 4 mason jars because I use the pint ones, so they fit a 50g tin perfectly.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I use mason jars but if for some reason I find my tobacco has dried out too much I normally use the button. I'm making my first attempt at rehydrating tobacco right now as I normally forgot about the buttons and tobacco in baggies and came back to powder a few years later.
  • Options
    I actually need to check... Some loose tobacco seems to have done great but the flake I was rehydrating is still very dry, but better, after 48 hours and 1 button. I'm about to try 2 buttons.
  • Options
    I keep tobacco in mason jars once I open a tin, since I tend to have about 20 blends in rotation at once. Sometimes someone gives me some tobacco that is dried out. Then I spread it in 8.5 x 11 inch pan, cover it with a light clean cloth, and spray the cloth very lightly with water. When the water evaporates,it's ready. This works fairly well.
  • Options
    I also use mason jars but I do have some tins I have neglected. If I want rehydrate them I moisten a paper towel with distilled water and put them over top of tin overnight. It works but it seems you lose some of the flavor. It's still a good smoke.
  • Options
    @pipesith unfortunately that happened to most tobaccos if they dry out to much. Part of the smell and flavor is from the oils in the tobacco so when they dry out some of that goes away. I have killed a few aromatics that way but they still tasted nice to smoke anyways, just not as flavorful.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    I had a tobacco jar with a pound of cheap RYO in it,I would pour a shot of rum
    into it.mix and let it settle for a couple days.After about six shots of Captain Morgans
    that tobacco tasted and smelled really good.With true pipe tobacco if its ribbon,shag,rubbed
    out I'll just spritz it and stir a little,then let it set overnight or longer.Some blends taste better
    once they get crisp YMMV.
  • Options
    If the tobacco is too dry in your pipe, blow a couple of breaths through bowl of the pipe, that should make it moister.
  • Options
    I recycle my wife's Yankee Candle jars.  Of course I clean them out very well.  They seal very well and if I need to rehydrate I use either a damp paper towel in the lid or my humidor's puck hydrator on top of the tobacco for a day.  Both methods work welland the candle jars are decorative.