Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Reverse Calabash

Does anyone smoke a reverse calabash pipe, and if so, is the smoke really that much cooler?

Comments

• Options
    Yes and no.
    I have a Zack Hamric reverse calabash called a snapping turtle. I've posted the photo in a different discussion.
    I don't notice it smoking that much cooler.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    The picture of the snapping turtle is amazing. Is the reverse calabash different than a system pipe?
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    @PappyJoe care to expand?

Let me start by saying I do not have any reverse calabash pipes to compare to a system pipe. I have been looking at a few yet have been debating internally if it would be worth picking one up. Also when compare different things I have been known to simplify their function down too far. Which I probably am in this situation. This may be an example of comparing a Honda to a BMW. They will both get you from point A to point B yet one does it in a more comfortable and luxurious way.

Here is my take on the two different pipes designs. As stated previously this may be over simplifying the two. From my understanding of the reverse calabash. Reverse calabash uses a large changer in the stem of the pipe which an allows for expansion which also causes turbulence in the smoke. This expansion and turbulence allows the smoke to cool and expel moisture before leaving the chamber and entering your mouth through the bit. In a Peterson system pipe smoke enters from the bowl to the draft hole at which point it enters a sump chamber before being redirected out the bit. The sump is larger than the draft hole allowing for some expansion. The sump is also pointed down and relies on the bit to extend in to the sump past the normal smoke path causing additional turbulence in the smoke causing it to expel moisture and cool.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @distrib I see.where you are coming from. I've been just as curious about reverse calabashes as @pipeprofessor. I've never had the cash to grab one when I see one to try it. I have the same train of thought in regards to it being similar to the Peterson system. I have several system pipes in my collection, some small and some very large. I see the larger ones being more similar to the reverse calabash but the smaller ones don't seem to smoke much different than a regular pipe, IMHO. With @pappyjoe saying that he doesn't really notice a difference in smoking it I become more indifferent. A traditional calabash has a very large air chamber, in comparison, and that I see being more of a difference, haven't smoked a calabash yet.
  • Options
    I only have one dry system pipe - Savinelli - and other than the fact that it will accommodate a filter, I haven't done any research in them to figure out what makes a system pipe a system pipe.

I "think" I understand the concept of a reverse calabash. With a calabash you have the pipe bowl and under the bowl is a large chamber which the smoke collects into before you draw it up the stem and to your mouth. This chamber is supposed to cool off the smoke somewhat. While I'm not sure what makes a reverse calabash a reverse calabash, the one I have has a small chamber shaped somewhat like a small cup or bowl where the stem attaches to it. The stem it self doesn't have a tenon but looks to have a cup shaped end that fits into the cup on the bowl. This forms a chamber that is higher than the bottom of the bowl and I guess that's what makes it a reverse calabash.
    The photos below are great but you may be able to see what I'm talking about.

IMG_2001
    IMG_2002
  • Options
    @daveinlax - the great thing about these forums is the ability to hear different opinions. Personally, my reverse calabash is not ugly as sin. On the other hand I have seen some that were.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @daveinlax and @pappyjoe  I will agree some look horrible but so do some regular pipes.  I've seen some that look like spawned demons coming out the fire (that was actually the them for the pipe and it was carved from briar).  I do however like the chunky look that some of the reverse calabashes have as the don't seem as dainty and delicate as some pipes.
  • Options
    Hi, I have a couple of reverse calabashes. One, made by a guy out if Miami smokes great, the other smokes. Even a calabash can be smoked hot.
    As pipe collectors it is incumbent upon us to "catch 'em all" but I think we all have our favorites. In the long run it has less to do with mechanical jiggery-pokery than it does with personal preference and patience.
    IMHO system pipes were an accident of the necessity of drilling on certain shapes. I have savinelli systems and Peterson systems. They smoke good. But my favorite pipe (at the moment) is an old GBD bent bulldog, with no filter or stinger, etc.
  • Options
    @lesliesrussell is the guy out a Miami Zack Hamric?
  • Options
    No. But he makes beautiful pipes. No the pipe I have is a briar boy.
  • Options
    I'll have to check him out
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like most RCs do not smoke that much different than standard pipes.
  • Options
    I should have also mentioned that I have a regular calabash and while it smokes great and seems to be cooler, I don't notice a big difference in tobacco flavor.