Home General
Options

How Many Times A day?

How many times a day do you pack a bowl and enjoy? I've only been smoking a pipe for 2 days. I light up once a day just after sunset. Great way to relax and end the day. Think I'll do that tomorrow too! 

Comments

• Options
    I'm retired, and widowed, so it depends on my schedule for the day.  I smoke 3-5 bowls a day.  
  • Options
    With work, building a house, wife and kids, I'm lucky to get 1-3 bowls a week.  *Oh the shame*
  • Options
    Usually 3-4 per week. Mostly smaller bowls, on the way to work. 
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    No where near enough. 1-2 bowls a week
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
  • Options
    I have two to four pipes a day when I smoke, but then sometimes go a few days without a pipe. Since I don't have a job at the moment, I've been pipe smoking more frequently, but when I go without there's no cravings. Just maybe some sadness that I am without my pipe.
  • Options
    I am self-employed and smoke 3-5 bowls a day. At the least, I enjoy a morning, midday, and evening smoke.
  • Options
    Since itis not a problem to smoke at work I would have to go with 3 to 5 myself.
  • Options
    Through the week I will have one or two in the evening after work. Weekends, off and on all day so maybe five.
  • Options
    I smoke 5 to 6 a day since I'm retired and can smoke any time
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    Usually two pipes during the week. Usually the nights my wife works late and on weekends it all depends what our plans are. Since I smoke outside you can say I am a fair weather smoker. So on a day like today where it is 76 and a slight breeze I am on my 3rd bowl for the afternoon.
  • Options
    DanielCSan9592DanielCSan9592 Newcomer
    edited August 2016
    I usually smoke one pipe a day, as a religious conviction of moderation.  However, I respect other's choice to smoke as many bowls as they want to.  Compromise with my wife is also a consideration.
  • Options
    every day when i work..on my break..
  • Options
    Always a sunrise smoke and a nightcap. And then anywhere from 3 or more throughout the day.
  • Options
    I usually smoke a bowl at night during the week and one in the morning and one or two at night on the weekends...
  • Options

2-3 bowls a day, but not everyday if something comes up and I don't have time for a pipe. but I plan for at least 2 a day.

• Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    Not enough. Anywhere from 1 to 4 bowls a day on the days I smoke, but there are times that days go by between smokes or I choose to have a cigar in lieu of the pipe.
  • Options
    As many as I can get away with. Yesterday was 2 bowls. The day before was just one.
  • Options
    Two per day. An aromatic and an English.
  • Options
    Work days maybe one weekends days off and hunting trips maybe two three a day many times more 
  • Options
    I usually try to smoke at least two bowls a day. Once in the early afternoon while sitting outside soaking up the rays of the sun. And once more right before bedtime. From time-to-time I'll get that third bowl in the middle of the day, especially when my wife and I go out for a walk in the Crown Point Fairgrounds or one of the other nature walks near me. That afternoon walk in the woods smoke is probably best of all.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Under optimum conditions: two to three bowls a day.

Back in the day (seminary) - many more, especially during late night study sessions
  • Options
    One, occasionally two, rarely three.
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    Since I retired (May 30th) usually 1/day. Prior to retirement I smoked on average 3-4 bowls/week.
  • Options

@Jdalen Congrats on your retirement. I worked for 35 years in the Steel Mill and always assumed I was going to get killed in the place and never be able to enjoy my retirement. But here it is 15 years later, and I'm enjoying every day.

Whenever I bump into an old colleague from my days as a steelworker at U.S. Steel it never fails that the first question out of their mouth is some variation of "what are you doing now that you've retired?". And my reply is always the same ... "Whatever I want - whenever I want." They are shocked to discovered I didn't get another job after leaving the Mill.

Since we all spend the bulk of our adult lives working, the notion of being physically "retired" seems so foreign to most hard-working Americans, that it can be a difficult concept to grasp once it happens. The time honored notion of "you are what you do" completely knocks us off kilter when that career comes to an end. So many people retire from good paying jobs where they accumulated decades of seniority, respect from their peers, and a pension plan that enticed them to accept the position in the first place ... then turn around after a few months of freedom and re-enter the workforce out of sheer boredom at an entry level position for low pay or minimum wage, and no real benefits other than a paltry paycheck. (Note: I understand some people have financial burdens and are forced back into the workforce ... this is not meant for you).  

The simple notion of restructuring their lifestyle to compensate for living on a fixed income, making budget conscious entertainment and vacation choices, and reconnecting as a married couple is a frightening proposition many haven't mentally prepared for. So they get antsy and re-enter the workforce, seemingly as an escape from themselves, missing out on what quality time is available to them before years and the natural aging process limits our choices in life. 

So once I've expressed my definition of retirement I'm often met with skepticism and a blank stare. And you wouldn't believe how many times I've heard comments like; '"My wife and I would kill each other if we were trapped in the same house for 24 hours.", or "I'd be bored to death." Pretty sad. I guess until a person can get comfortable in their own skin time will never be theirs to do as they please. Even if all you have planned in the next hour is smoking a bowl of your favorite blend and staring at the stars.            

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Some real wisdom in those words.....
  • Options
    Right now, it's about five a day on Wednesdays and Fridays when I work from home.  The other days are weather dependent as I'm relegated to the garage.  If it's not too hot and nasty outside, I'll smoke two bowls after work.  Weekends can vary from nothing to a few bowls each day.  
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    @ghostsofpompeii, indeed, words of wisdom. So-far-so-good though.
    Truth is I too was reluctant to pull the trigger and in fact could have started collecting my pension two years ago but told myself at the time, "not until I find another job". I kept telling my co-workers and train buddies that I wouldn't know what to do with myself.
    After many rounds of interviews (accounting/auditing) over the last 2 yrs and still no new job, I just decided to take the jump anyway and have so far surprisingly found that there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do including sometimes spending that hour on my front porch smoking my pipe and watching the sunset.
    Granted it's only been two months and it's summer, which helps, since I spend lots of my time in my veg garden and getting out and about with my daughters. But, as you mentioned, I hope to keep taking advantage of the quality time available before the years start to limit my choices.
    Congrats on your 15 years so far and God willing many many more to come.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Love your philosophy on retirement. My wife and I are starting to do retirement coaching for Baby Boomers who are having an identity crisis now that their job no longer defines who they are. Our focus is helping retirees discover their purpose/mission/calling for they "second half" of their life. Too many quit too soon and miss out on a rich second half of life. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - When I first retired from the military in 1993, I took 20 days terminal leave and found myself looking for a steady paycheck before the 20 days were up. Even with the wife still employed by the guvmint, my retirement pay wasn't going to cut it. Had nothing to do with being bored or anything more than a financial necessity. Took a job in marine insurance that lasted 18 months before I found a job I wanted with a printing company that I kept for 11 years. I left it because the last couple of years I was working 60 - 80 hours a week on salary and got tired of BS. 

Now I work for myself. I make close to what I was making working those 60-80 hours only now I work 25 - 30 hours a week. The wife is retired and around the house all day but stays busy doing her hobbies and spoiling the grand kids. 

I've tried just sitting around and doing nothing but I get fidgety real fast. Even sitting around doing nothing but reading pipe smoking forums can get boring after awhile.