Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Half & Half

2»

Comments

• Options
    Personally I like Carter Hall, either straight on occasion or mixed with some of my favorite aromatics. I have never experienced the chemical issue he raised, but as we know everyone has a different personal take on what we taste and smell. I do however respect his opinion and his right to express same. Always good to see his reviews.
  • Options
    I just find Bradley to be an intelligent and entertaining guy.
    He reviews almost nothing I'd try, because I'm an aro smoker and he's all English/Orientalsand VaPers.
    But I watch every review and every "Sunday Smoke."
  • Options
    I keep several tubs of it in my cellar for the warmer months. I also keep the prince, Carter, and sir Walter on hand. I may go months without smoking a codger but sometimes it is the perfect smoke. My problem is I don't care for my usual smoke when it is hot, dunhill or c&d just smoke better when it is cool in my opinion. Fortunately it has cooled off in New England and I'm back to star of the east and the appertif
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited October 2017
    Because I don't like straight tobacco like cigarettes, but I do like a good cigar,  I am very reluctant to try any OTC stuff like this including OTC cigars. They are just inferior. The only safe bet for me would be Captain Black cherry. I am a believer that with proper research, you get what you pay for. Since pipe smoking is All about the EXPERIENCE, why would I settle for something less, cheap and inferior for my experience?
  • Options
    I tried some this summer as I smoked a bunch of codger burleys. Not bad at all. Not elegant, but a solid, inexpensive all-day smoke.
  • Options
    @motie2; I fall back on Carter Hall when I just want a nice, mild smoke. I do use it to break in a pipe as it does cake well and doesn't ghost. To me it's just a simple tobacco that I enjoy. I always choose it as one of the blends that I'd take to a desert Island,etc. for it's basic simplicity. 
  • Options
    I started smoking a pipe while in the Army in 1970 and H&H was the second blend I smoked and have stuck by it ever since. After years of the “blend merry go round”, I came home to my codger blends for good about six years ago and have never looked back with H&H my daily smoke ever since. On occasion I smoke a pouch of PA and Carter Hall (my grandpa’s & uncle’s blends) for a change of pace. But the great consistent flavor & aroma that still gets compliments as well as the price I’m never changing! Morning noon and night, never a bite and always satisfies!
    It’s still the most popular pipe tobacco in the US and most exported overseas for a good reason: “A cargo of contentment in every bowl!”
  • Options
    I keep a few tubs of half and half on hand at all times! I think it improved quite a bit once Scandinavian took over production.
  • Options
    That's very nice to hear. 
  • Options
    My Dad's Dad smoked either Half & Half or Prince Albert from those tall tins, all-day and all-night. He had one of those pipes with a metal shank and base, with a corn-cob bowl attached. I remember there being a thick layer of smoke all across the room between the colder air by the floor, and the warmer air at the ceiling whenever I entered the living room.

I may (or may not) have tried one or both of them back when I first started the pipe in '73, but I don't remember the slightest thing about the experience.
  • Options
    I wish my father, of blessed memory, had been a pipe smoker. As a child, I had to suffer his four packs of Camels a day and my mother's Chesterfields. Wintertime, in the car, window cracked open, I must have reeked. Plus I had the croup all the time. At least, had he been an aromatic smoker, I might have enjoyed it just a little.... 

[From my iPad]
  • Options
    Great basic no frills blend of pipe tobacco. It'll get me by in a pinch. I do keep some around as well as H&H and my feelings are the same  for H&H.
    I am mostly a strong burley smoker