Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Wardens

Why is it that churchwardens get what seems to me as a bad wrap.  The only thing I can think of would be that they are not easy to transport.  But it seems to me that there are quite a few people that don't like them or they only have a particular use for them.  I could be wrong but just my observations from reading other forums/posts.  Just curious if anyone has an opinion.

Comments

• Options
    Don't ask me. I have 8 of them
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Yeah, I love them.  I have quite a few churchwardens and love them.  They aren't that portable so I don't travel with them much but I still do anyways, I just break them down first.  I even have two cases designed for them so I can transport them, one that I just bought from legendarysaxon.com and LOVE!!!!!  I know the "in style" pipes are the short stubbies and I can't stand those.  If I have to worry about burning my facial hair off no thanks.  The farther the flame is from my face the happier my facial hair is, primarily since I smoke outside and where I am in Texas if there is a breeze it at least 20mph
  • Options
    I think churchwarden get a bad rap from some pipe smokers because they are popular among the hipster LOTR and Renfest fans.
  • Options
    Haha, that cracks me up @pappyjoe
  • Options
    @pipeprofessor - What? I was told that in a pipe shop once when I asked about churchwardens. The guy behind the counter - who was smoking a Nording Freehand at the time - said that he had had two but a couple of kids on their way to a Renaissance Festival had just bought them.
  • Options
    Some people don't realize that churchwardens were one of the original shapes. I'll try to find the link to a fascinating story about the history of churchwarden pipes I read last year.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    Never had one or tried one,but wouldn't mind finding out if the extended length cools the
    smoke more.
  • Options
    I've have a MM Cobbit Elf, that's the closest thing to a churchwarden that I've had.  I enjoy it, but I'd like to get a decent one.  I find it interesting that they were used by the night watchmen so that the embers and flame don't get in the line of sight, so they could be vigilant about their job.
  • Options
    Corey562Corey562 Master
    edited August 2016
    Never tried one but would like to. It does seem logical that it woild cool the smoke more.  Might have to look into finding me one that suits me.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe, the wardens and LOTR...I think its funny.
  • Options
    Love them myself!!! I actually have a few on my wish list!
  • Options
    I have three and Love them! 
  • Options
    @pappyjoe  I know some of the history of churchwardens entails the clay tavern pipes.  The pipes were made very long so that way you could do other things and they could rest on the table or arm of the chair, the nob on the bottom, because the clays bowls getting extremely hot you didn't want to hold them.
  • Options
    @drac2485 - The clay tavern pipes were made very long so that they could be rented out to customers. After a customer would smoke the pipe, the end would be broken off so the next customer could use it.

Yes the bowls get very hot. That's one of the things I don't like about clays.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe I remember that too with breaking off the tips.  I have heard arguments about it though.  I wish I remember where as both sides had researched documentation.  One arguments was that they weren't meant to be passed from person to person and broken to be more hygienic, the clay pipes could be put into the coals and burnt clean, but the nature of the clay was to break over time so it prolonged the life of the pipe.  Many taverns at the time had individual pipes for each patron and were stored at the tavern.  They were cheap enough that the patron could purchase them and normally they were given the tobacco to smoke when they purchased the pipe.  (ALL OF THIS IS WHAT I READ AND WAS RESEARCHED AND CITED).  The author concluded the discussion with the fact that both cases were probably true and it may vary by location but some of the larger city taverns had individual pipes for specific patrons. 
  • Options
    @drac2485 I think both are probably true depending on the size and location of the taverns. Bigger taverns or those located in larger communities could probably afford more pipes. Smaller and shall we say less classy establishments probably only had a pipe or two and would break off the stem.

Only thing about it that I question is whether they were really that concerned about hygiene in the 1500s?
  • Options
    @pappyjoe You took my bait.  Actually I got distracted typing that while I was at work.  That was one of the arguments about breaking the stems for the new person.  Did they really care or know that much about hygiene or did it have more to do with extending the life of the pipe as the clay deteriorated from being in someone's mouth or breaking?  I wish I knew where I came across that article so I could share it as it was a really good read and the author summed it the best when they said it was probably a combination of the two.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe  This website sounds familiar https://historymyths.wordpress.com/2012/10/28/myth-4-revisited-when-men-smoked-they-often-shared-the-same-white-clay-pipe-for-sanitary-reasons-they-would-break-off-the-tip-before-passing-on-the-pipe/  They discuss that back in the day they shared everything not caring about germs but the pipes were broken because of the tar buildup at the tip made them unsmokable.
  • Options
    I enjoy them. I have two, they do tend to have smaller bowls that heat up easier, you have to sip them slower. The old silent movie,"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" show the old Dutch Patroons enjoying them by the fire.