Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Growing your own tobacco?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    My email server is either filtering out pictures or really slow.  I took a photo of what is in the ground at the moment (about 12 inches high now) but it hasn't come through the mail yet.
    Will post as soon as it shows up.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    The mail finally came through.  This was put in the ground on July 4th.

• Options
    Finally got around to harvesting, this is what I have hanging in the garage, hopefully it turns out.  
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master

Casing Recipes for Mildly Aromatic Pipe Tobacco

https://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/casing-recipes-for-mildly-aromatic-pipe-tobacco.2141/
    .......a casing recipe that results in a lovely pouch aroma, a vaguely sweet smoke aroma, and little modification to the taste of the tobacco blend.

The recipe can be used with any blend of tobacco (even an English blend with Latakia and / or Perique). When I make a tobacco blend for pipe, I start out as though I'm making up the filler for a cigar, but with different tobaccos. The whole leaf should be only moist enough to compress without crumbling. The stemmed leaves (all of the components of the blend) are bunched tightly, like cigar filler, but without a binder or wrapper. I hand slice the bunch to a suitable pipe shred, then slice the pile of shred lengthwise to shorten the shred length. 

If you lay the stemmed leaf flat, you will end up with perfectly flat shred--not so good for a pipe mix. By firmly bunching the leaf, the shred ends up highly crinkled--nice for pipe.

The shred then goes into a gallon Zip-Lock, which I inflate fully and seal. This is then shaken and tossed for a minute or so to even the blending. It can then be used in the following process.

Use a blend of tobacco that is smokable to start with.
    • into a spray bottle, add several ounces (say, 120-150 cc) of Canadian Whiskey -- I use Seagram's VO. No water is added.
    • add a 1/2 tsp (~2.5 cc) of Vanilla extract
    • add a drop of anise oil
    • add a few drops of pineapple flavoring
    • mix the bottle contents well (until the cloudiness of the anise oil has vanished)
    This mix will keep, unrefrigerated, for many months.

Use:
    1. Pre-heat oven to only 175ºF (~80ºC)
    2. Spread shredded tobacco evenly on a cookie sheet (I line with foil)
    3. Moisten the tobacco thoroughly by misting with the casing solution
    4. Place in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes (until just barely dry)
    5. With your fingers, toss the tobacco to redistribute it
    6. Repeat 3 through 5 about four or five times
    7. If the final tobacco is a bit too dry, mist it with pure water to bring it to a dry but flexible state.
    8. Store in a freezer Zip-Lock, and wait a few days before smoking.

The tobacco will not smell like licorice, and will not smell like pineapple. In the pouch, it will smell like walking through the door of a cookie bakery. The taste is hardly noticeable, but the aroma is sweet and enjoyable (maybe even to others in the room).
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @motie2, can you find any documentaries on how to make latakia?