Home General
Options

Alienated

I was talking with the owner of a local B&M today and we were commenting on how we often feel alienated as pipe and premium cigar smokers. Does anyone else feel this way, or is it just us?

Comments

• Options
    Yes and no.

I do not recall a time that I have run into a fellow pipe smoker, so people look at me funny or disgusted.

But in the same breath it's nice to be seen as different. I'm not a fan of fads. Which to me cigarettes and e-cigs are. I love the history and tradition of pipe smoking and hope to bring some positive awareness to the hobby.
  • Options
    I agree with PappyBadger , I also enjoy the history of pipe smoking, I am old enough to remember when most men I saw smoked a pipe , including my uncle and the pipe tobacco commercials on TV.
  • Options
    Lord knows we are a numerical minority. I suppose we may be looked on as odd by some folks.  Not sure  what I am supposed to be alienated from, as s a pipe smoker.
  • Options
    I agree withjudandhispipe 100%!!!
  • Options
    Alienated? From the idiots who don't smoke a pipe? Ok. Is there a downside that I don't see.
  • Options
    While I respect the fact that many of you guys belong to and enjoy pipe clubs, I can't really say that it's my cup of tea. I guess I just don't view pipe smoking as a social activity.

I smoke a pipe daily, but always at home or while camping in the woods. I rarely smoke in public, so there's little opportunity to experience alienation. It's my business and I like to keep it that way.

The notable exception is my participation in this forum. I really enjoy hanging out with you folks, and it seems like we have a pretty cool community. No need to feel alienated here.
  • Options
    @topaz75 - a good pipe club is like this forum. Except we're all sitting around smoking our pipes, drinking beer, coffee, tea or other beverages instead of staring at a computer or mobile device.
  • Options
    Personally I don't feel alienated for smoking a pipe. I'm a bit of an odd guy, so I'm used to not having people flock to me. My pipe fits me and my style, so if they have a problem, they can deal with it.
  • Options
    I have had several say that it was cool, because in a way they think I have re-discovered a lost art. 
    I do, however, get a lot of grief from people who can't justify my pipe smoking and my profession as a dentist. I get it, but after a little conversation they can see the difference between occasional pipe smoking for relaxation and chain smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco.
  • Options
    I felt a little alienated when I first started pipe smoking, but after a few years I pretty much stopped caring.  Don't want to be near a pipe smoker or want a pipe smoker in your midst?  Chance are we'd have little in common, anyway...no big loss.  I'm me, and that's the end of it. 

I still get the (incredibly annoying) "So...what are you smoking in that pipe, *wink wink* *smirk*" from time to time when I'm out and about, but for the most part the only reaction I really get is curiosity and/or someone wanting me listen to their trip down memory lane about a pipe-smoking father, uncle, grandpa, etc.
  • Options
    @Mangoandy , my dentist was a pipe smoker at one time, and he gives me an oral exam to check for anything when I see him every 6 months.
  • Options
    @idbowman, it was like that for me also , but like you ,I don't really care what people think, their just jealous because their not happy and contented and relaxed like we are.
  • Options
    @idbowman I've heard those comments once before while outside having a pipe during a concert. It's the only time I've felt the urge to sound pretentious and shoo them away.