Home Ask an Expert
Options

Tongue Bite Remedies

Over the weekend I over did it a bit and burned my tongue a bit from over zealous puffing. Any home made concoctions or remedies from you folks I should try?

Comments

• Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    @thewanderingdude ,Time,,,crackers and milk while your waiting
  • Options
    The only thing that works for me is time away from my pipes and avoiding spicy food. 
  • Options
    Don't have any home made remedies but Biotene mouth wash works great for me.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    If only, it may get more people smoking pipes as I don't know very many people that haven't gotten the tongue bite right off the bat and put the pipe down for a bit.
  • Options
    I find that effervescent drinks prolong it.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @tomatobodhi  I found that one out the hard way.  I remember that lesson very VERY well.  Tongue bite bad enough I grabbed the first cold beverage on hand and took a giant swig... and I thought the tongue bite was bad
  • Options
    Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between tongue bite and spicyness. Smoking rum flake this morning and thought it was biting but there's no bite when I sip hot coffee

• Options
    Fortunately, mouths are very vascular so they heal quickly. Well, quicker than other places on your body. One sure way to increase healing is to stimulate blood flow. You can do so with mint. Peppermint, spearmint, etc.
  • Options
    I always have something to drink, like iced tea or water, and don't puff to fast.Some blends smoke hot anyway, you just have to slow down.
  • Options
    Best way to deal with this is to use proper technique to begin with,and avoid the problem.
  • Options
    For me I have found that burleys give me bite, so I have my own special blend have smoked this since the 70's
  • Options
    I recommend using a pipe with a 9mm filter.
  • Options
    To void, just smoke slowly, especially if aromatic.
  • Options
    NathanMastellerNathanMasteller Newcomer
    edited November 2016
    I'd give turmeric powder a try. I put a decent amount on whatever meal is next and some straight on my tongue. The tongue bite has always cleared by the next day and I don't have to skip out on enjoying my pipe.
  • Options
    The Draw copy
                                                                       ~ Author unknown
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    @judandhispipe advice is foundational,
     and @motie2 's poem there sums it up poetically - calm down and take it easy, no rush, savour the moment and the toby.
    I also agree with those who recommend a filter. I use a filter when I smoke aromatics. Though bite is the second reason I don't prefer aromatics, every few weeks I get a hankerin' for something sweet and the filter makes a big difference on the bite.
    You may also try pipes with longer stems and/or cobs, i.e. the Cobbit Dwarf for your aromatics.
  • Options
    @motie2, love the poem, never heard it before, sums it all up!
  • Options

I'll second the recommendation for Biotene, as well as the old standby, warm salty water.

Actually, it's a good idea when you finish smoking, to use some sort of rinse to wash out your mouth. Statistics show that most people over the age of 35, have some level of gum disease, even non smokers. By rinsing your mouth, you can remove the residue left from smoking, as well as cut down on the level of bacteria which causes gum disease.

If you have ever heard the phrase "Long in the tooth," this is a reference to receding gums, which most folks suffer from as they get older.

• Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @xdutchx I have heard of the warm salt water before it does help a bit with tongue bite. I have never heard of rinsing out your mouth after a smoke interesting, thanks for the advice.
  • Options

@piperdave, the old warm salt water trick is really economical. I remember when Brian Levine interviewed Rob Cooper awhile back, he advocated using a water pik after each smoke, which makes a lot of sense to me.

I remember as a teenager having my wisdom teeth cut out, before they actually came in on their own. After the surgery, my dentist told me to rinse with warm salty water to speed the healing process.

One word of caution though, it's best not to rinse with salt water right before bed. Doing so can leave salt concentrated in the mouth, without much saliva production to move it out. The salt can get aggressive overnight, and let me tell you, tongue bite doesn't even come close to salt bite. Don't ask me how I know.

• Options
    Wandering the interwebs, I found the following by a pipe smoker named Hank:

"As I understand it, there are a couple of different schools of thought around tongue bite.
    1) The school of arrogance says, “You’re simply smoking too fast, slow down and puff at a much lower cadence and you’ll notice everything gets better.”
    2) The school of baccy says, “It’s a chemistry thing and you just need to change what you’re smoking.” In this thinking, blends from another manufacturer might just not bother you. I, for one, am a huge fan of Hearth and Home’s Classic Burley Kake. If you’re looking for that old-time burley feel of old-fashioned Half and Half, it wont be the same, but might capture the essence. Perhaps you’ve just been looking in the wrong tin.
    3) The school of wise old pipe smokers says, “You’re not drinking enough whiskey.”
    While I think number 2 is probably the most accurate, I always prefer to first extensively test that the problem isn’t related to number 3. Then I work my way backwards on the list."

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; text-indent: 36.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 15.0px Arial}