Home General
Options

Your Best Pipe Experience

There's a thread on Piping Mishaps and it's kinda a downer, so lets hear about your best experience while smoking a pipe.

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I didn't catch my pipe or anything else on fire!!!! YAY!!!!! I think my best experience was when I finally slowed down puffing and truly got to taste the subtle flavors of the tobacco for the first time, it was amazing, and it was a blend I had been smoking for a while so I THOUGHT I was familiar with it.
  • Options
    @drac2485, I remember that moment like yesterday and it was a great expereince for sure. I still rush it some times, but once you find that perfect place it's hard to go back as an entire world opens up for you.
  • Options
    Discovering that my brother-in-law was also a pipe smoker and sharing a couple of bowls, while learning a lot, when he came for a visit.
  • Options
    Going to my first ever pipe club meeting. Walking into the tobacconist shop and encountering a cloud of pipe smoke from my fellow pipers. It's rare for me to meet other pipers in the wild, so I relished the experience and joined in with my pipe.
  • Options
    Winning my first long smoke competition the first time I entered one.
  • Options
    My cousin came over for a visit one afternoon, saw my pipe collection, said he always wanted to try smoking a pipe someday. So since we're family and share the same 'cooties' I told him to pick one out and give it a try, and the two of us sat outside smoking Captain Black Gold (which was my blend of choice back then). Probably the only time I ever sharing a pipe smoking experience with someone since I don't know any pipe smokers.  
  • Options
    I was going to be flippant and say, "The first time I smoked Molto Dolce," or "The first time I smoked Balkan Sobranie," (I'm a walking contradiction -- I love aromatics and I love certain English/Balkan blends), but the truth is that being able to go sit on the back deck, in the sunshine with the temperature nearing 60 degrees, on February 23, smoking a pipeful, when there should be a foot of snow on the ground -- at least -- is so very wonderful. Thank you, God.

I just hope March doesn't suddenly "come in like a lion and go out like a rabid wolverine." It's happened more than once here in Northern NJ.
  • Options
    I smoke at camp grounds and it's always nice when someone comes up and says " My Father/ Grandfather smoked a pipe" and thank me for the memory. Of course, when some sweet young thing complements me on how good it smells.
  • Options
    My more I think about it I'd have to say one of my best pipe experiences is when I received that Nording Harmony Bent Dublin as an unexpected gift from my wife on Valentine's Day. What guy expects something on Valentine's Day??!!? Usually we're the one's buying candy or flowers. Pulling that beauty out of the pipe sock for the first time was amazing. I'd never seen anything like it before. I felt like the kid in the movie "A Christmas Story" when he got that Red Rider B.B. Gun.