Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Breaking in pipes

This was inspired by the "full or half bowl" discussion. I was going to comment there, but then realized I had not seen a thread on this topic, so decided to go for it.
There's a lot of discussion about the proper way to break in a pipe. I used to use the "step method", for want of a better term - quarter bowl, half bowl, then full bowls - but switched to the "load 'er up and go" school. To be honest, I have seen no difference.
I still vacillate on what tobacco to use. One school is to use the sort of tobacco you intend to smoke in the pipe; another is to use a rather neutral burley blend to break in. This is my current school; I use Lane Ready Rubbed, which seems to build a cake nicely, and does not have a strong flavor that would ghost the pipe. My firm rule, however, is to never smoke a blend I do not know well in a new pipe. (Conversely, when I have a new blend, I make sure I smoke it in a pipe I know well.)
What are you thoughts about breaking in new pipes?

Comments

• Options
    Great topic @lostmason! I know that that this will help many newer pipers. I too use the step method as I feel it helps build the cake at the base of the bowl. I try to think about what types of tobaccos I will use the pipe to smoke in the future and load them up with those while breaking them in. I feel this helps the briar absorb the flavor from day one. But I say go with whatever you are comfortable with and what you think works best. 
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    @pipeprofessor can you say oops? Anywho,this is a good topic and I lean towards the "load em and go"
    method.I do use a cob for new blends,and usually use Carter Hall if I'm building a cake.I have only one
    pipe that is somewhat new,a Brigham rusticated brandy,and it was smoked once or twice before I
    got it.But I like to clean an estate down to the briar so that I know what all is in the cake.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @judandhispipe I love that you mentioned only to use a blend your familiar with. When I was new I just smoked whatever and as I've learned that's not the best way to break in a pipe or your palate. I'm revisiting some tobaccos I didn't care for when I started and I find how much I like them now and how they taste so much better
  • Options
    I just watched a YouTube video last night by muttonchop piper about breaking in pipes. He brought up using oriental forward tobaccos as they smoke cooler than aromatics and Virginias and are sweet. I think I'll have to go to my stash and find an oriental blend and smoke it today as I can't place the flavor of orientals right now
  • Options
    @lostmason haha, I just realized this! I have a feeling there will be many more times people post along the same topic ideas. 
  • Options
    To throw this out there. I keep hearing from people three tobaccos that are great for breaking in pipes and building a cake: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Lane's Ready Rubbed
  • Options
    @drac2485, I'm using the Lane RR. I personally like it much better than either CH or PA.
    As far as orientals being sweet - it depends on which one. There are lots of different orientals - Samsun, Basma, Yenidje, Katerini, etc - and they don't all taste the same.  I prefer a much more neutral blend for breaking in a pipe, removing any chance at all of ghosting.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe  I agree on the comment you made about the orientals. As pungent as the ones I have (I pulled some out yesterday) I think I'd go for something with a little less likelihood of ghosting unless that was the main blend being dedicated to the pipe.