Home General
Options

Perspectives from a Developing Piper

I've been tossing the idea around of blogging or otherwise posting about pipe smoking from a developing pipers perspective. After encouragement from my TPL brothers i've started this discussion to do just that. For this first post i'm just going to outline topics i want to discuss and encourage any on here to chime in and comment what you might want to discuss or get perspective on. 

Future topics will include: developing your palate, pipe packing, beginner pipe blends, techniques in pipe tasting, cellaring and cellar development, tongue bite, the pipe community, pipe carving and restoration, pipe design, tobacco blending, and others.

I don't have first hand knowledge of all these topics and in those cases i intend to summarize the prevailing thoughts on those topics for my own and your consideration. If you are a new or old pipe smoker give this discussion a look see from time to time for some food for thought.

To cool smokes and few relights.

Comments

• Options
    Smoke King in the UK put this Beginner’s Guide to Pipe Smoking together and it has some helpful material for the pipe smoker gathered in one place. 
    https://rebornpipes.com/2020/07/17/smoke-king-uk-tobacconist-beginners-guide-to-pipe-smoking/
  • Options
    Sounds good @Whoispra
    Look forward to some good reading and thoughts from all...
  • Options
    @Whoispra looking forward to reading and hopefully contributing where I can. I still feel like a novice no matter how long I have been enjoying pipes. 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    I too suffer from sinusitis which sometimes makes it difficult to pick up the subtle nuances of some pipe tobacco. That being said, if I clear my sinus before smoking a pipe I can usually pick up most of the flavors in a blend. The ones I can't are usually ones I have no idea of what I should be smelling like black currants or are so light as to be unidentifiable.

There are a lot of blends where I sit and think, "What am I tasting/smelling?" To me, the flavors/aromas are muddled and indistinct.

What I have found though, is if I smoke a non-aromatic blend first and then smoke an aromatic blend, I can definitely taste/smell the different components of the second bowl better.

All that being said, I have found a number of blends which I can immediately taste and smell the toppings when I smoke them. The Untouchables is one of those because the cedar and rose geranium flavors are noticeable from the time I pack the bowl until I dump the ash. There are a few others that gives me the same experience - Exotic Passion (formerly known as Exotic Orange), Tillerman Flake and Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. I can always get the full experience of flavors when I smoke them.  
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Interesting observation concerning smoking a non-aro 1st, THEN an aro. Never tried that, but it does make sense, if for no other reason than the contrast.
    Nice tip buddy. I'll give it a try...
  • Options
    There is a useful hack for sinus problems and nasal congestion: It's called a neti pot. I've used one for decades, as has SWMBO.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/rinsing-your-sinuses-neti-pots-safe

• Options
    Yep, used that for years, then went to "Sinugator"... No joke, that's the name.
    Works MUCH better. Now only have sinus infections maybe once a year, and the duration is much shorter...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ

Is tthat a battery powered rig like the NAVAGE advertised on TV.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 26
    Not sure above the NAVAGE, but yes, it is battery powered. It results in a gentle series of pulses that really gets the job done...
  • Options
    @judandhispipe recently posted a great break down of Blend Types as given by Russ Oulette the famous tobacco blender. A few weeks back I posted a blog of sorts about how people might work on tasting and developing a taste for pipe tobacco. That being said everyone starts in the same place which is drinking from a fire hose regarding all the nuance and availability of pipe tobacco, pipe choice, accessories, cellaring, and list continues. The break down provided in juda's post is an awesome and succinct way to navigate some fundamental differences but the question for new pipe smokers remains the same. What do I buy first? 

If you do like I did you get overwhelmed by choice and you go with a name you've likely heard or seen even if you aren't a pipe smoker. I'm referring to those "codger" blends. Brands like Captain Black, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall and their allies. Codger blends are almost all burley and virginia in composition though dark fired kentucky, cavendish, and other tobaccos do make an appearance occasionally. I'd also argue most are cased or topped in some way to give usually a light sweetness. I personally went with Captain Black dark which is 100% steamed black cavendish and personally I didn't love. I think cavendish is fine. It was certainly easy-ish to smoke and had a light sweetness and nothing overly off putting. I think this is a reasonable way to go. Most burn relatively cool, are lower in body, and don't have any crazy bold flavors that might start you off on the wrong foot. My experience is they are a good moisture out of the package to all of which are valid for new smokers who are going to pack poorly, make little to no considerations to moisture, and will probably puff away like an overworked steam engine. However, to borrow a phrase from Jon David Cole from the Country Squire many would consider these blends to be worth little more than the bedding for a hamster cage especially considering the breadth of what is available.

Let us consider for a moment the two tobaccos I think a new pipe smoker should avoid without question: straight or pure virginia tobaccos and goopy aromatics. The former is high in natural sugars which lend themselves to burning hot out the gate and coupled with bad fundamentals and potential moisture issues this is a sure fire way to melt your tastebuds off. The latter is the bigger trap because most goopy aromatics, something like Sutliff's Molto Dulce (in my experience), is going to be heavily cased, smell like cake or other delicious things, and be just goopy wet. It is going to appeal to a wide array of beginners but that wetness and the sugary toppings again lead to tongue bite which is fundamentally the limiting factor to new smokers who are at least committed to the idea of trying out a tobacco pipe.

So, codgers are fine, easily available, usually cheap, and not often super wet or goopy. A viable option but perhaps lower on the quality end. I like some codgers so I wouldn't avoid recommending one. I would avoid trying wet aromatics and pure virginias until you've developed your technique. So get to the point. What do you recommend?

In a nutshell I think the following are best tobaccos for new pipe smokers: English/English Hybrids/Scottish blends, "dry" aromatics, and VaPers. Let me qualify this first by saying I'm not making any considerations for nicotine content. No one wants to be Nic Sick but i've not one time been so buzzed on nicotine that I felt offput by the experience and i've tried blends people said would put me in my seat and I didn't come from a heavy cigarette background.

English, English Hybrids, and Scottish blends which as judas post points out are not the same but similar and are usually dry, a blend of multiple tobacco types, cooler smoking, and easily accessible. Basically every major manufacturer offers multiple offerings in each category. They may or may not be cased or topped, tongue bite is usually minimal to none, and as long as it isn't a "Lat bomb" should be appealing to many assuming they don't hate latakia. Something like the country squires northwest trek, Peterson's my mixture 965 or early morning pipe, or JM Boswells countryside are also good options.

Dry aromatics are just that. Probably a blend of Cavendish, burley, and virginia with a light casing or topping that isn't wet, is lower in virginia content, and mellow enough to have mass appeal. While not for me, C&D's autumn evening I would say falls in this category. Other recommendations might be JM Boswells aromatics as a collective or something like Blue Ribbon from the Country Squire.

VaPers (virginia periques) are probably a gamble but hear me out. In my experience theyre much less prone to tongue bite than a straight virginia and they offer both the virginia tast profile as well as the perique profile which everyone should try. Good examples might be C&D's Kajun Kake, Escudo Navy Deluxe, or Peter Stokkebyes Luxury Bullseye Flake. 

Final thoughts are that a new pipe smoker should cast a wide net on trying blends but to do so with caution. Pursue those offerings that will provide experience without discomfort and work your way into those spaces where novice technique might be punishing.  

To cool smokes and few relights.

Cheers

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 15
    @Whoispra
    Nice post. I agree about most aros, especially the majority of Sutliff blends.
    To help combat tha "goopiness", I have found that spreadig it out on a paper towel and allowing it to sit for 24 hours, while shifting the tobacco around on the towel a couple of times helps to draw out some that topping. Sometimes I find the need to change out the paper towel due to excessive absorbtion.
    It usually results in a dryer smoke, but some of the flavoring may be lost as well. It is a trade off I usually am willing to make when combating the "goopiness".

• Options
    @KA9FFJ yeah i've been fortunate enough to have successfully avoided the goopy aromatics but we've all heard the stories. I think the old paper plate and paper towel method are great. Definitely something i use as well. And you're right about the flavors they are certainly diminished but probably worth it to avoid the bite.
  • Options
    Not all aromatics have the same amount of goopiness as Molto Dolce and the many other aromatics sold in the USA. I think that is why I've stocked up on aromatics only found in the European market. 

The first pipe tobaccos I bought were either Captain Black or Borkum Riff. 
  • Options
    @motie2 i'm with you all the way. they were some of the first englishes and aromatics that i tried and i'd buy them again any time on both fronts.