Home Ask an Expert
Options

Zip Lock Bag

How long will tobacco last in the ziplock bags that a brick and mortar tobacconist sells their house blends in?

Comments

• Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited September 2022
    In my experience with Ziploc bags and pot, it all depends on the gauge (i.e., mil size) of the material used in the plastic--i.e., the higher the mil, the longer the pot lasted. Pot stored in actual Ziploc bags would last about a year before becoming obviously stale while pot stored in a sandwich baggie (for instance), would become stale in about 8 weeks.

I have no idea about tobacco because unlike pot, I've never dealt tobacco in any large quantity and always smoke it before it goes bad, but I would assume the concept, and probably the relative longevity, is exactly the same.  

By the way, an edit here after the post...make sure you squeeze out as much air as possible too, that will make it last longer regardless of the mil thickness of the plastic.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @jacobramsey74
    Not long.  If it is here in Montana in the summer, it might keep a week if it was kept in bulk.  If portioned out into smaller amounts, much less.  Also, if it was in the heat, the tobacco might take on a “plastic” taste, for me it does.  The best solution would be to get a few mason jars and lids and put your tobacco’s in the jars, (don’t leave the tobacco in the bag in the jar)…again, it might take on a plastic flavor/aroma.  Good mason jars with good seals will keep tobacco fresh for years.

As a caveat, if the tobacco has had propylene glycol added, it will last several weeks, maybe even months.
  • Options
    Okay, right now I don't have a new jar ready for it so i put it in my small cigar humidor (no cigars). Its about 50% humidity at the moment and i keep it in a drawer out of any light.
  • Options
    I have used Mason jars for years and can attest to the longevity.