Home General
Options

Artisan Showcase #8 –– Sean Reum

The ritual of pipe smoking is one of its greatest charms. For pipe maker Sean Reum, it was part of what attracted him to the hobby in the first place. As he approaches his tenth year making pipes (sixth as a full-time professional), Reum is still fascinated with pipes and the mystique they possess. After a good friend introduced him to pipe smoking, he became instantly hooked on the stories of old pipes and the discovery of new blends –– all in search of the “perfect smoke.” He says he started making pipes because he wanted to find the best smoke for himself and others. 

Just what makes the ideal smoke is a matter of interpretation, but Reum’s style is a mix of Danish and American classics. He has a particular fondness for “ultralight pipes,” which are under a single ounce in weight. “I like making pipes that are delicate feeling to smoke yet strong enough to be a daily driver,” he said. 

In terms of his pipe-making process, Reum prefers to work within a structure instead of shaping a pipe freehand. As he builds a pipe, he’s constantly thinking about the proportions and how the ultimate product will look and feel. He pays extra attention to the internal engineering of the pipe –– so that the draw is free from turbulence and offers the best performance possible, regardless of the shape or size of the pipe. “I’m rather proud of my stem work, and the button of a pipe is like a fingerprint of the maker, so I’m happy that mine is one that seems to work very well for most people as well,” he said. 

When he’s not making pipes, Reum enjoys spending time with his wife and kids. Additionally, he has found a new passion for mountain biking the various trails near his home in Northwest Montana. Of course, Reum also smokes pipes regularly, and he has a variety of blends that he favors. “I’m mainly a Virginia and VaPer smoker, but I’ll occasionally get a craving for a very light English like Lombard, Squadron Leader, or Kensington,” he said. While Reum owns many pipes, he tends to gravitate toward a few pipes that have been “trusty friends” over the years. He has no problem trading pipes with other makers, and he’ll occasionally smoke from a pipe that didn’t turn out right in the shop. 

In closing, Reum has a special message for everyone in the pipe community. “Bonus Tip: just relax, don’t overthink pipe smoking. Just pack, light, and repeat. All the rest is just noise until you develop your own cadence and style. Be Happy.”