Home General

Artisan Showcase #5 –– Brandon Brooks

TPLHistoryTPLHistory Enthusiast
edited May 2022 in General

Brandon Brooks––like many pipe smokers––has an appreciation for how physical objects work. Not only is he a talented pipe artisan, but he is also a percussion teacher. Before he entered the world of pipes, he would spend his time making custom drums. Then, he got his first pipe kit and “headed down the rabbit hole” until he was eventually forming his own pipes from scratch. Now, Brooks, 51, of Georgetown, KY, creates some truly eye-catching briars.

Though he’s smoked and tinkered with pipes for well over a decade now, he began seriously creating pipes around 2015. He says that his grandfather smoked a pipe and that seeing him smoke it initially sparked his interest in the subject. 

Brooks works both as a pipe maker and as a percussion teacher for several middle schools and high schools. Perhaps understandably, he relates his pipe-making experience to music. “My style is first and foremost rooted in understanding the classics,” he said. “I feel you have to understand the basic shapes and some history before understanding more art-type shapes. Take music as an example. Learning at least basic theory is crucial before understanding the many styles and structures of music.”

While Brooks clearly has a passion for pipe making, he does have other responsibilities that take up significant portions of his free time. As a result, he seeks to find time within his busy schedule to craft the best pipes he possibly can. Brooks says that he can knock out a traditional shape in a day or two under the right circumstances. However, according to him the process varies to an extent. 

“I may find a block of briar I like and start from there,” he said. “I may find a great piece of bamboo that is the jumping off point. I may take inspiration from another maker or some random thing I see in a given day.”

Rather than trying to make as many pipes as he can, Brooks’ priority is to focus on creating a special experience for each customer. As a result, he now spends more time with each pipe and makes fewer in general. 

Brooks spends his free time engaging in things he loves––like making pipes and playing music! When he’s not crafting pipes for fun or business, he loves smoking Virginias and VAPers especially. Some of his favorite tobaccos include Escudo, Orlik Golden Sliced, and 4th Generation 1855.  

You can find examples of Brooks’ work here: https://www.instagram.com/brandonhbrooks/

Comments