Home General
Options

Artisan Showcase #4 –– Eric Weaver

TPLHistoryTPLHistory Enthusiast

Eric Weaver knows pipes. He’s been making them for nearly 20 years, but his fascination with the subject goes back to his youth, when he used to watch his grandfather occasionally smoke from a pipe. Since that time, he’s become ingrained in the world of pipes and pipe making. He cites The Ultimate Pipe Book by Richard Hacker, Pipes and Tobacco Magazine, and The Pipe Smoker Ephemeris by Tom Dunn as inspirations. He’s visited with renowned pipe maker Rich Lewis, sold his pipes at bookstores, local markets, and to friends and family, and now, he’s made a full-time business of crafting gorgeous pipes of his own.

Weaver first began to carve pipes as a young man. He’d received a few pipes from his grandfather––as well as a pre-drilled briar pipe kit from his girlfriend (now wife). “I began to make pipes in my dorm room with a carving knife and Dremel, clamping blocks of briar to my dorm room desk and hacking away,” he said. Now, his process is considerably more measured and complex. 

Weaver says he begins by looking through his briar blocks to see what jumps out at him. His main focus is on freestyle pipes, but he makes some classic-shaped pipes as well. While he has an affinity for Danish and Japanese styles, he has a deep appreciation for a huge variety of pipe craftsmanship. “I could make an endless list of amazing pipe carvers that inspire me,” he said. 

Next, he sketches a rough drawing of the pipe he'd like to create, places the briar block in the lathe, and begins to drill. From there, Weaver tweaks the shape with a carving knife, sands the pipe by hand, and stains the pipe to create a finished appearance. At a given time, he’s usually working on anywhere from 1-6 pipes, and a single pipe could take him between 8 and 30 hours to complete. “The process and the material itself are my biggest teachers. That, and trial and error,” he said.

For years, pipe making was a hobby for Weaver, who also works as a potter. However, a few years ago, he began to expand his operation online and to sell his pipes to the larger smoking community. 

In his personal life, Weaver prefers to smoke Virginia flakes or coins in the morning, before switching to full English blends in the evening. His other hobbies include hiking, camping, hunting, playing the banjo, antiquing, metal detecting, reading, writing, repairing typewriters, and spending time with his wife and two daughters. 

You can find examples of Weaver’s work here: https://www.instagram.com/seasmoke_pipes_and_pottery/ 

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for this wonderful article. I really appreciate it. Here is a link to my etsy store. pipes can be purchased thru etsy or by contacting me directly. 
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/SeaSmokePipesandPots?ref=profile_header