Home General
Options

Artisan Showcase –– Kent Joyce

TPLHistoryTPLHistory Enthusiast

You could say that Kent Joyce is good with his hands. The 59-year-old from Noble, Oklahoma has 40 years of experience in the construction industry with an emphasis on carpentry. He plays drums in a reggae band. And for the past nine years, he’s been crafting some of the most intricate and eye-catching pipes you’re likely to see on the market. 

By the time Joyce began to take a serious interest in creating pipes of his own, he’d been smoking for 13 years. As is the case with many pipe enthusiasts, he’d developed a collection of quality pipes by that time too, and he was fascinated by the different styles, shapes, and finishes master pipe makers could craft. Eventually, he began to think about making a pipe for himself from scratch. He acquired a lathe and––little by little––began to assemble all the various tools he needed to build a pipe. One thing led to another and now, nine years on, he’s crafting some truly remarkable pipes. 

Joyce describes his own style as “eclectic.” He says he draws inspiration from Danish, Russian, and Japanese pipes, but that he simply has a deep appreciation for all pipes. 

“I just love pipes,” he said. “I’m an open-minded collector. I borrow little things from a wide range of makers and combine those aspects into my own pipe.” 

Of course, Joyce certainly has a distinctive flair all his own. He’s even begun experimenting with a new technique of rustication in pipe-making. (Rustication is a masonry term that refers to the act of giving visible surfaces a finished texture––the kind of architecture seen in medieval castles, for reference.) He says he was surprised by how well the pipes came out. Joyce doesn’t have an established time frame for how long it takes him to create a pipe. He says he doesn’t even want to know how long it takes him either. “I just try to slow down and do each step thoroughly.” 

In addition to pipe-making, he enjoys smoking Virginias with Burley and Perique. Finally, Joyce has a quick message for everyone in the pipe community. “Take care with everything you do. Enjoy Food Friends and Family. Live the sweet life.” 

You can find examples of Joyce’s work here.