Home General
Options

I've Hit Rock Bottom ... I Found Myself Washing Old Pipe Cleaners

Now don't go starting a 'Go Fund Me' page for poor old Ghosts ... I'm not in financial straights.
Last night, sometime after midnight, my wife got out of bed because she heard the pump for the well running non-stop for an extended period of time, and was concerned we might be having a problem with the pressure regulator again. To her surprise she found me hunched over the kitchen sink, faucet running, washing something. Since she had washed all the dishes before going to bed - under normal circumstances the only time I might use the sink that time of the night would be to rinse out a single coffee cup, glass, or plate after a late night snack. (By the way ... when I wash a plate at night it's to hide the fact that I 'was' eating a late night snack). 
When she came up behind me I wasn't expecting it and it she scared the Hell out of me. Then that short moment of terror across my face immediately transformed into the sheepish grin of an embarrassed moron. There I stood - washing a handful of nasty looking used pipe cleaners.
"My God", she exclaimed, "things aren't that bad for us!" 
I collected my thoughts and my reasoning seemed sound - until I heard the actual words come out of my mouth, enter my ear, and transmit to my semi-comatose brain. Immediately my brain rebooted and was in 'full function mode', calculating the cost of my impromptu pipe cleaner maintenance. Figuring in the cost of electricity to run the pump, the ridiculous amount of dish washing liquid I used to perform my miserly task, as well as the waste of water. 
God knows I'm cheap ... but not that cheap. I just can't find a good brand of pipe cleaners in the Smoke Shops near me. Either they are the chintzy fuzzy multi-colored type kids use for hobby projects - or the tough bristled type. The only time I can get quality pipe cleaners is from one of my on-line tobacco shops. And I can't see myself ordering simply pipe cleaners from Pipes&Cigars. I know what will happen. I'll also end up buying more tins of tobacco (which I don't need - but the temptation will overtake me) .
This was the half-assed reasoning I presented to my wife and she calmly replied. "Valentine's Day is coming - please order yourself some new pipe cleaners."          

Comments