Home General
Options

Artisan Showcase #2 –– Neal Monier

For most people, carpal tunnel surgery isn’t a career-changing moment. However, for Neal Monier, it ended up leading him to his current profession: pipe making. Seven years ago, Monier was a tattoo artist and shop owner who simply enjoyed pipes as a hobby. In an attempt to rehabilitate his injured hand following surgery, he began to fiddle around with a small lathe. Eventually, he made his first pipe during this time. Now, Monier runs his own business and makes some of the most gorgeous and desired pipes on the market. 

While he’d been smoking pipes for a while before then, he says he had no intention of selling them when he first began to dabble in pipe making. “I certainly didn’t expect it to become my full-time job.”

However, that’s exactly what happened in 2019 when Monier sold his tattoo shop and went into the business of crafting exceptional pipes.

The rest, as they say, is history. 

Monier has a special appreciation for classic pipe shapes and styles. In particular, he’s been drawn to pipe designs in the billiard family and others in that vein. “Recently, I’ve found an appreciation for the Castello Shape 55,” he said. “It’s a deceptively difficult shape to make. For me, anyway.” 

Monier tends to work on pipes in batches –– two or three pipes at a time over the course of about a week. Some are specially-commissioned pipes, while others are made available for general purchase. While he considers his style to be American, he draws inspiration from classic English shapes and Danish freehands. Still, he tries to keep things fresh and finds that focusing on a couple of shapes of his choosing helps him stay motivated. “I love learning or trying new things. There’s no better feeling than seeing improvement in my work. It really keeps me pushing to be a better pipe maker,” he said. 

In his personal life, Monier prefers to smoke Virginia and Caper flake tobacco, but he also enjoys English blends during the cold weather months. Currently, Monier lives in Norwalk, California. Lastly, he feels a deep appreciation for fellow pipe enthusiasts. “I just want to take a moment and thank our wonderful pipe community for all the support and friendship they have given me over the years. It means the world to me.”

You can find examples of Monier’s work here.