Home General
Options

Back Country Pipes and Tobaccos

Any other backpackers or hikers on here? I always take a pipe and tobacco with me on my adventures, but I have a 9 day 50 miler coming up with no resupply points. I'm thinking a cob will be best since I can smoke it every night and not worry about it. I would also like to take a couple different tobaccos along. Anyone have any tips or tricks for long haul wilderness piping?

Comments

• Options
    I would for sure go with a Cob pipe maybe two in case one breaks. And for tobacco I would bring a tin of something. way more sturdy than a glass jar. 
  • Options
    Cobs sound right, and I would agree with two. Obviously you aren't going to be smoking a lot, so I'd pick one blend, take an unopened tin or pouch, or transfer an amount of your favorite bulk to a ziplock bag. That will be fine for the amount of time you are going. Enjoy.  
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    As they said at least 2 cobs, ziplock bag with tobacco. I'd make sure that the lighter you take to light your stove/fire can also be used to light your tobacco and is full.  Also, as I have broken several cob stem by throwing them in a bag I'd make sure to pack them in a more secure location like in some pots or broken down so you don't accidentally snap the stem.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. There wont be any tins or jars because of weight concerns. My base weight for all my gear is 21 pounds, so if figure I have some room for luxury items like a pouch of tobacco and a cob. I was actually thinking some flakes would hold up better in a ziplock over the long haul, but I'm not sure yet.
  • Options
    Subtilis87Subtilis87 Newcomer
    edited August 2016
    You could always take a plug tobacco (compressed cake). It would take up the smallest amount of space and be resistant to drying out. Peterson makes one, C&D have multiple I believe, Samuel Gawith makes one. Plugs were a way tobacco rations could be distributed, so soldiers could just throw them in their ruck sacks. If you break both cobs you could cut a cube off and have a chew.
  • Options
    If you don't have a pipe with a cap, I'd take a cob with a tall chamber so you can get a good bowl full without filling it up. Why? If you are outdoors smoking, there is always the wind to consider. It can really heat up your smoke and ruin a great bowl. It may be superfluous, since flakes tend to be more forgiving of breezes.

I agree with @subtilis87 about plugs for the wind factor, too. They are more versatile, so you can always cut your own slice and prepare it based on smoking conditions day-by-day. A windier day may call for a fold and stuff, breezy may call for a course rub, calm may be perfect for a really rubbed out bowl. Plugs also hold their moisture super well, so they are very forgiving of iffy storage conditions (pouch isn't airtight? No big deal).

If you have any 3P, I think it is a great plug for hiking for all of the above reasons, plus it just says "outdoors" to me. Obviously, YMMV.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    I always take a short cob and a pocket Sav. I find that larger pipes are harder to move with when trying to move 30 miles in a day with 60 lbs on the back, LOL. I used to just smoke cigarettes while backpacking but since I like the aesthetic of the pipe more I don't even smoke cigarettes on the trail. 

Did a hike through the Olympic National Forest 2 years in a row now. The first year I didn't bring my pipe and it sucked. So now I keep my pocket Sav in my pack so I don't ever forget it. I do two long trips a year and I will never go without my pipe again.

@tomatobodhi I agree about the wind issues. And I've notice an issue with short bowls and elevation... maybe it's not just a short bowl issue? 
  • Options
    @mhajec elevation is a concern as we have a couple 12,000' passes on this trip. I'm leaning on going with my Dagner Cob and some PS Navy Flake thrown into a pouch of Carter Hall for flavor options.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @thewanderingdude that sounds like a solid plan, you'll have to tell us how it worked out, especially when you peak that 12k
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I hadn't even thought of elevation. I have some backpacking trips on the back burner. Please do let us know how it works out, backpacking stories always interest me, but that would be good to know as well.
  • Options
    I also would have never thought of elevation. Great insight! Thanks.
  • Options
    Elevation?!? Wow. I never even considered it. Great thought!
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    Temperature, elevation, humidity, and weather. The four horsemen of backpacking. Hahahaha