Home Tobacco Talk

What's In Your Cellar?

No, this isn't a Capital One commercial...

A combination of boredom, nervous energy and curiosity set me on a path to determine the status of my tobacco cellar. 
If someone would have asked last week, I would have said I had around 10 lbs. of tobacco in the house. I would have been wrong. I currently have a paltry 11.8 lbs. (approximately).Since I know some pipe smokers who have well over 100 lbs. of pipe tobacco in the cellars, that makes me a light weight.

In total I have 67 different blends. I have multiple tins/jars of 10 of the blends. 

While the oldest tobacco I have is George Washington from before 1974 that I bought from pipestud.com, the oldest blends that I personally purchased new are Esoterica Penzance and Bjarne Viking's Odin's Wind, both purchased in 2015. 

Almost a third of my blends are non-aromatics (23 tins) - English, Balkan, Scottish or American. The rest obviously are aromatics. Half of the aromatics I own were manufactured in Denmark.

Comments

• motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2021
    Three jars of Balkans, one jar of my aromatic blend, and one of Peterson Connoisseurs Choice 50/50 with Out of the Office - Civic Duty. I’m a lightweight as I’ve only been smoking a pipe since 1964. (“Humble brag”) Oh, and a jar of Rattray Caribbean Dream…….
  • @PappyJoe;
    The Boogersman! Ooh, I'm sorry, you are talking about Tobacco. I'm not really sure. Once I jar it, I put the jars in a couple of crates and a couple of coolers. I forget about what I have so I won't be tempted to crack them open until they are aged. My best guess is maybe a couple dozen jars and as many tins of various sizes. Far more than I will probably be able to smoke in the time I have left. Your discussion has peaked my interest. Some day soon, I'll do a proper inventory. I may even create a log on my computer to help track my stock. I'm a little bit anal when it comes to lists. It will make a good project for the cold winter days ahead. Thanks for starting all this!
  • @opipeman
    My last attempt at an inventory was in 2019. 

What triggered this was two discussions on other forums: 1. How many pipes do you have. 2. Show us your cellar.

There is also the philosophical battle between "Do you need more tobacco" or "Do you want more tobacco."

Truth is my cellar was built by buying two tins of blends. One to smoke immediately and one to save. 
  • @PappyJoe;
    Any suggestions as to what I should include in my inventory log?
  • @opipeman
    My spreadsheet has:

Blend
    Brand/Manufacturer
    Date Acquired
    weight (approximate for blends in jars)
    Status (cellared, cellared unopened, cellared in jars open, cellared in jars unopened* and opened tins)

When I get blends in the 100g tins that has the tobacco in the cellophane type bags, I jar it immediately. If I haven't smoked any of it, then I considered it cellared in jars unopened.

I have some blends that are out of production I include a notation on the year it was last produced if I can find it. 
  • I have a few items . . .

• @opipeman
    My speadsheet is similar to @PappyJoe

Brand
    Blend in alphabetical order 
    Bought
    Used
    On hand (calculated)
    Type (English, Virginia, Va/Per etc)
    Contents (initial L, O/T, V for most English types)
    Flavors
    Cut
    Notes

Under the brand name I rate the individual blends 👎👎 to 👍👍 with 🤙 in the middle 

I currently have 283 tins representing 90 different blends that I believe will last 226 weeks if I don't make another purchase.

Those numbers are calculated and update automatically. 
  • PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited November 2021
    @Balisong
    Or, if the tobaccopocalypse hits, you can make a fortune on the pipe tobacco black market.
  • The attached Tobacco Rating form might be useful

(attached)
  • Thanks Brothers. All of your suggestions have merit. I just need to get it done.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2021
    This might be useful
    https://www.pdffiller.com/301810-fillable-pipe-tobacco-rating-forms-naspc

Nevermind, it’s the same form, but uncredited to Fred Hanna
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2021
    https://community.cellarlabels.com/

<<Welcome to a whole new world of cellaring! The main Cellar Labels website will continue to be a free resource for custom labels and printing templates. You will also continue to have access to all that information here in the new private International Cellar Club (ICC).

The ICC is more community driven than ever! Upload your own label creations anytime you want. Here are the new 3 main features:

1. Share a Label – Here you can upload your own artwork to add to the Community Labels page.
    2. Community Labels – This is where you will find all of the communities contributions. Use the brand drop-down selector to filter by brand or use the search bar to search by the blend.
    3. My Labels – And most importantly, the My Labels page! This is where you can see all the labels that you have uploaded and contributed to the community. Need to rename or update a label? This is where you can easily do so.

Thanks for joining the club. Hopefully, you will find all the labels you need for your cellar here!>>

• http://www.thepipetool.com/view/index.php
    Another useful cellering app.

<<Keep track of your tobacco. A new kind of cellar tracking tool.

Quickly and easily keep track of your tobacco that you have open and cellared for long term. Access it from anywhere; at home, on the go, or at your pipe-club meeting.>>

• RSPiperRSPiper Connoisseur
    Allot of Sutliff blends but I have been adding more of the old cogger blends, Carter Hall, Half and Half and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.
  • RSPiperRSPiper Connoisseur

I have more Carter Hall and Half and Half on the way.

• @RSPiper

Answers the question, “What’s in your closet?”😃
  • <<When I was a kid my parents used to tell me, "Emo, don't go near the cellar door!" One day when they were away, I went up to the cellar door. And I pushed it and walked through and saw strange, wonderful things, things I had never seen before, like... trees. Grass. Flowers. The sun... that was nice... the sun…>>

And pipe tobacco…..
  • Great information in this thread.  Been playing with Momento with the DB talked about on the herf.  I am liking this more and more . . . 

Memento Database is a mobile application that allows you to keep track of things. There are templates and one such template you can get from the online community is Pipe Tobacco Cellar v1.12

This template keeps track of just about everything including personal reviews:

Brand Name
    Blend Name
    Blended By
    Manufactured By
    Blend Type
    Blend Contents
    Cut
    Flavoring
    Tin Type
    Country
    Weight
    Weight Units
    Status
    Opened
    Finished
    Target Date
    Cellar ID
    Serial #
    Logo
    Purchase Date
    Purchased From
    Tin Date
    Product Link
    Barcode
    Price Paid
    Flavoring
    Amount
    Flavor Notes
    Strength
    Taste
    Room Note
    Tongue Bite
    Moisture
    Pipes Used
    Similar To
    Personal Rating
    Personal Review
    Online Review
    Photo

What’s nice:

- Database can sync with Google Docs Spreadsheet - This made it relatively easy for me to mass update and get all the content I kept into the database
    - Mobile interface is very easy to use
    - Database use of ID tag allows you to capture a unique ID for each tin. So you pick up a tin you can lookup by ID tag and find out everything about the tin.
    - Kind of cool scrolling through with pictures

Some mods:

- Well work on your part if you want to use ID tags. You can buy pre-generated sheets of unique tags and just stick on your tins/bags/etc
    - Weight Unit can be what ever but the interface seem to think it is really ounces.  Easy changed in settings->aggregators and update the word ounce
    - Quickly add a pie chart like I did above from my spreadsheet with a few clicks

Parting thoughts:

I initially thought I wouldn't use it and just keep using my Google Docs but I find myself grabbing the phone to look up things in the cellar.  The interface is crazy easy to use.  I even added a calculated column that converted ounces to grams and added that along with ounces aggregator to see total weight pretty easilly
  • Oh man! Just after I got married, my wife decided one summer day while I was away for a week, to move my collection to the garage. I live in Arizona. It was the summer and the garage was over 110 all week long! 
  • @Neoshaone
    That may not be a bad thing depending on the blends you like. Think of it as stoving your tobacco.
    I would move it somewhere a little cooler though.
  • @Neoshaone
    Store your tobacco in a cool place... but NOT your refrigerator...😏 I don't think food and tobacco blend all that well...😉