Home Ask an Expert
Options

Pipe tobacco rotation guidelines

When folks talk about a tobacco rotation what are some of the common practices? A couple questions in particular are how many bowls of tobacco do you smoke before moving to the next tobacco in the rotation? One bowl, one day, one week? How many tobaccos are typically in the rotation? I'm fairly new to the hobby and looking for some general guidelines any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    Going to follow this one. I usually just smoke what I have on had at the time or what is just calling my name when I look at the tobacco on hand.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @dcollar love ke @dstrib I normally just smoke what's speaking to me at the time
  • Options
    KirbybKirbyb Newcomer
    It's a moving target for me. I have at least a dozen open tins, I try to finish one before opening another just to keep it under control. Sometimes I make my choice on the spot, other times I dream about what my next smoke will be. I keep it as far away from regimented as possible
  • Options
    Whatever works for you - there are no right or wrong answers. I've probably got 20 blends in rotation. Tinned blends get moved into glass jars shortly after opening. I always end the day with a lat blend.
  • Options
    I like burley heavy in the morning, Danish at midday (it is hot here) and VaBur or VaBurPer in the evening. In-betweeners get mixed up, especially if I'm driving.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    Im with the majority here, I smoke whatever I'm drawn to at the time. I do tend to gravitate more to English blends in the winter time though, something about those leathery, woodsy flavors that really bring it out in me when it's cold.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I smoke more light aromatics and Virginias in the summer and the heavier stuff like some Lat bombs in the winter
  • Options
    dcollardcollar Newcomer
    So it looks like from all the comments I'm on the right track in smoking several different blends. I find that if I stick with one for a couple days I'm able to appreciate the subtle differences in the blend. Thanks for the advice I'm really enjoying my new found hobby. Thinking about starting a pipe club in Hamilton County Central Indiana.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    The best answer is whatever works for you,I have smoked blends for several days straight and also to smoke several blends in one day.It's more of what mood I'm in and what I have.Almost all that I have on hand is bulk aro's in jars.I have a few pouches that are sealed still and one tin of Nightcap that will keep until I'm ready for them.
  • Options
    I should also note that it's very rare that I smoke more than 1 bowl of the same blend in any singe day, although it does happen.
  • Options
    Rotation? I think that is overthinking the who pipe smoking thing. I have over 40 pipes. I just grab the one that appeals to me at the moment. I have 10 or 12 open blends. Same thing. I just reach and grab whatever my hand lands on most of the time. Sometimes it depends on my mood whether it's an aromatic, english or VA/Per. 

Don't over think it! When you do, it becomes work.
  • Options
    I go in phases but generally have 3-4 blends that I dabble in during a said week. Then I will get a taste for something different and change types.
  • Options
    Lit up a bowl today that I loaded three or four days ago,,,have no idea what it was,but today
    it was a creamy nutty goodness that made me rotate.Does that count?
  • Options
    Dang, how dry was it @lostmason?
  • Options
    When I talk about a tobacco rotation, I just mean "the blends I have open right now". I have certain flavor profiles, to use a fancier term, that I prefer at various times of the day, so I tend to reach for those then. It's pretty much subconscious, except for when I dig around to find something I haven't smoked in a while.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I really am in the minority on this one. Almost never have more than one tin open at a time, unless I'm using two or three to create my own mixture. I've got about a half dozen different blends sitting around right now, but won't open any of them until I finish what I'm currently smoking.
  • Options
    @Topaz75,whatever works for you. That's what I used to do,long ago, but I discovered I like having a variety of options available,
  • Options
    @Pipeprofessor,It was dry enough that I smoked it down to ash in about 20 minutes.That
    pipe is usually good for about 35-40.

I did figure out my tobacco rotation though,I grab a jar and "Rotate" it to see what I'm
    smoking today.

Ok,so I like JackA**ed answers , that's my super power.
  • Options
    I don't have a set rotation, why complicate things? I smoke whatever I feel like that particular day. Most of the time it's a different tobacco each time and sometimes even a different pipe , if I smoke 3 bowls that day it's a different tobacco each time some days and some days it's the same pipe or a different pipe, variety is the spice of life.
  • Options
    I think I'm older than most of us. When I started most men had 1 pipe and 1 main tobacco. I read an ad in Field and Stream from the makers of Holiday that sent you 6  1 Oz. square tins of their tobaccos to try for free. That's how I got my start on trying other blends. 
  • Options
    I started out with one pipe and one blend,now I smoke whatever I feel like out of what I have on hand. It's all in what you like.There is no wrong answer.