Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Smoking the Rotation

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    @PappyJoe
    That is a cool shape and a nice looking pipe.  I wonder if the nomenclature has been sanded off?  The stem looks to be a replacement?  There looks  to be a slight taper and lighter stain area near the stem joint.  With the “5” on the bottom of the shank, I wonder if it could be a Comoy’s Grand Slam or maybe even a Savinelli Autograph?  I don’t recall if lower grade Autographs can have fills or not?  It does not really matter, that is a sweet piece of briar👍🏻
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    I've had Kirsten pipes, but never a Meerschaum bowl. I've cleaned up the ones that I have had, replaced the "O" rings, but never liked the way they smoked.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    Hmm, maybe it was a briar bowl calvalier…hence the ? …..I’m getting old and senile and can’t remember🤔
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    That lighter stain area is probably just the lighting. 
    I examined it under a magnifying glass and while I can't see anything definitive the says the nomenclature has been sanded off, there are a couple of areas that it is possible. I just don't know.

It actually smoked pretty good.
  • Options
  • Options
    @opipeman
    Ok, yea, that’s it.  The big freehand briar cavalier.👍🏻
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, @RockyMountainBriar;
    I really don't like to smoke the thing. Its clumsy and the metal gets really hot.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    The metal on mine gets warm but not as hot as the bowl on a briar pipe. 
  • Options
    Pipe number 21.
    This is another pipe I found at an antique shop in Beaumont, Tx at the same time I bought the Salmon & Gluckstein. I paid less than $10 for this one.
    It's a Royal Sovereign which I found out was a sub-brand made by Orlik. The previous owner must not have liked the straight stem because it has a slight bend up by the bit. 

• Options
    One of my prize finds is this La Savinelli Giubileo de Oro 510KS. I rescued it from a booth at an antique street fair in 2014. It was pretty grungy and just sitting in a basket with a few other junk pipes. The guy at the booth said, "Take your pick, $3 each." At the time, I didn't really know much about Savinelli's but I figured it must be old, so I bought it. I had a friend do the cleaning and restoration on it since I was just starting to learn. He asked if I knew what I had and I said, "A Savinelli." He explained the Giubileo de Oro line to me. 

The following year at the New Orleans Pipe Show, I showed it to a Savinelli rep and he offered me $200 for it. I kept the pipe. I later found out it was worth a couple of hundred more than that to the right collector. 

• Options
    Pipe 23. Kaywoodie Stembiter 33. (Antique shop find). The Stembiter was introduced in 1955. The 33 shape is a large apple. This pipe was made before Kaywoodie switched to 3 digit shapes in 1972.

• Options
    Found the time to squeeze in on more pipe. This is another unknown Algerian Briar that is simply Canadian on the top of the shank and France on the bottom. Another pipe rescued from a flea market. 

• Options
    My Christmas 1988 pipe I found at an antique shop. It’s stamped Christmas 1988 and I was told it was probably sold by Tinderbox. Smoking some Winter Edition 2015. 

• Options
    @PappyJoe
    I love the sinuous, curvy shape of the bowl on that beauty.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    Outstanding selection. Thank you for posting!
  • Options
    @opipeman
    I’m just over halfway through my collection. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    Wow! Keep'em coming!
  • Options
    Pipe #32
    This is my Ben Wade Royal Danish by Preben Holm. I bought it at the same time as pipe #31. Interesting history, in the 60s, Preben Holm was marketing his pipe under contract with Snug Harbor, Ltd. In the early 70s, Snug Harbor left Holm in financial difficulty because they stopped paying him for the pipes. In 1971, Holm was hired by Lane Ltd to provide Danish freehand but they couldn't be sold under the Preben Holm name at the time. Lane had the pipes stamped Ben Wade, Made in Denmark. This is one of those pipes. The Ben Wade Danish line would continued until Holm's death in 1989. Eventually all the previous Preben Holm pipes made for Snug Harbor were sold and sometime in the 1980s, Preben Holm was again allowed to sell pipes with his name on them. 

• Options
  • Options
    Revisiting every pipe I own has reminded me of an important point in pipe smoking - Keep your vulcanite stems cleaned! I have had to clean three of my pipe stems so far before I could smoke them. 

Unless I've missed counted, I have smoked 33 of my pipes so far. The breakdown on that is one pipe that was a Christmas present, one carved by me, andthree pipes purchased new. That leaves 28 pipes that were estate/antique shop finds. I have eight more estate/antique shop finds to smoke before I get into the rest of the pipes that were new when I acquired them. 

No pipe smoking this morning as I have an annual doctors appointment in an hour.