Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pleasantly Surprising Smokers

Early on in my pipe journey I was looking to grow my rotation and was recommended a Rossi Sitting Pipe by a local B&M. It has a very run of the mill rustication and dark finish, looked like a cheaper version of the Savinelli 320 I had received for Christmas. They were having a special, so I got it and 5 tins of Orlik for $60. It has turned into my go to pipe. Although it is half of some of my other pipes retail value, the enjoyment and ease of smoking I get from it is unparalleled. I learned very quickly not to knock a pipe or manufacturer as a “cheap” brand. I think this paved the way to my love of Missouri Meerschaums as well.

Do you have a pipe that you bought on a whim or caved to a good deal that turned out to be a surprisingly great smoker? Something that you assumed was “cheap”, but has great intrinsic value?

Comments

• Options
    I have always loved my Grabow's...smoke great, last forever, easily clenchable, and less than $40. I did buy them on a "whim" simply because I was looking for a pipe that didn't get saturated after 4 or 5 days of smoking like a cob does, and didn't make me tear up when I got fish guts on them or drop them overboard; that said, I have two Rossi's that have never disappointed as well, so I know what you are talking about. 
  • Options
    @JLehman5290 I feel the same way about all of my cheaper drug store Dr. Grabows. In all reality I find little to no difference in the way of actual smoking enjoyment between one of my more expensive Savinelli's, Peterson's, or other name brand pipes. It all depends on the tobacco you pack inside the bowl. And even in that case you might get just as much enjoyment from an over the counter drug store blend as expensive tinned tobaccos.
  • Options
    1969 I sent $15.00 to EA Carey for a 30 day trial of a nice Apple. I lost it that summer at camp and ordered another under a different name and address. Since then, I’ve purchased two more new at full price from EA Carey, and eleven more used from eBay. Over the years, I’ve given away all my other pipes…..
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003 @ghostsofpompeii
    Dr. Grabow was my first pipe. Bought it in college and still have it… somewhere. I need to dig it out and pack a bowl.

@motie2
    EA Carey is one of those brands I see listed as an estate all of the time. I have come close to pulling the trigger and now I think you gave me the last nudge I needed.