Home Ask an Expert

HPC Slow Smoke Competion

The Houston Pipe Club will be having its first annual Slow Smoke competion. Now it had been about 7 years since my last competition in which I took 2nd... to last.

My question from the experts out there is.., do you have any advice?

I'm looking at you @PappyJoe!

Comments

• @subtilis87 - Get the pack right. Make sure the 1st match doesn't go out until you get a good "char" going. Make sure the 2nd match doesn't go out until the tobacco is well lit. Tamp lightly, puff lightly and discover a good cadence/rhythm. Be very lucky.

The long smoke competition I participated in during March was a first for me. I was lucky enough to sit next to the pipe smoker who won the competition last year with a time of 1 hour, 20 minutes.
    I watched him closely and relaxed and followed his lead of slow, consistent puffing. I go lucky and beat him this year by 4 minutes. 

When I dumped the ash, I still had a tiny amount of tobacco in the bottom of the bowl.
  • @subtilis87 - let us know how it goes this year
  • Thanks asking @PappyJoe .  The slow smoke went  really well.  I did better than in my last slow smoke,  I came in 4th, or 5th out of 12.  I can't really remember now.  I also got to sample Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose by C&D which was our slow smoke blend.  Fittingly our competition pipe was a corn cob, generously donated by Missouri Meerschaum.  They even branded our pipe with "Houston Pipe Club".  Below is a picture of our club just prior to the slow smoke.  Note: Possible photo bomb from McClelland on the TV behind us.image
  • How was the tobacco?
  • The competition blend was good. I liked the cube cut. It was mild as far as aromatics go.

I also sampled some 2006 Christmas cheer that was really good.

I also tried Balkan Beauty which I would highly reccomend.

Lastly I got a sample of penance which I look forward to trying.
  • I bought the tins of Corn Cob to use as stocking stuffers for Christmas. Was wondering if it was good.