Home Ask an Expert

Help! Is this a real Peterson Pipe?

Good afternoon,
I just received my uncle's birthday present, which is a Peterson pipe. Yippie!! However, I noticed the shank band color is gold, not silver, and I have searched the internet to validate the pipe's authenticity without avail. The band has Peterson of Dublin and Peterson's edition 150 between the shank and the bowl. See pics. Is this pipe authentic? I also noticed a defect in the shank band which doesn't allow the stem to be fully flush (it is minimal in my opinion). Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited March 2021
    Yes, it is a Peterson “Dublin Edition” (which is the line name) Rusticated Shape #150 Straight Stem Bulldog.  I can’t remember if the band is Sterling Silver or Nickel, but I’m pretty sure it is Nickel, I don’t see any Silver Hallmarks in the picture unless they are on the side that was not shown.  It is a fairly recent production, less than five years I believe.  The nomenclature is laser engraved, they have only done that recently.  They may have already went back to stamping since Landusi took over, but I am not sure.  Give the band a quick polish with a soft cloth and some stem polish/buffing compound/Flitz metal polish.  It will shine right up.  Try puffing a bit of dry graphite on the tenon and look for any tear-out in the shank that may have left a small piece of wood that may be keeping the stem from sitting flush, the graphite will slick it up if it is sticking slightly.  Whatever you do, go carefully, if the stem does not want to seat flush with slight pressure, there may be something else going on...like maybe the tenon is slightly too long.
  • edited March 2021
    @RockyMountainBriar, thank you, Sir. I don't see any other markings or hallmarks, but I will follow your recommendations in polishing the band. The shank band seems to be extending beyond the briar, and it is bent. 
  • I looked at my own “Dublin Edition” Shape #B50, it is definitely nickel.  Peterson uses a wood glue to fix the bands to the shanks that sometimes comes loose.  You may be able to carefully push the band on flush with the shank by pressing it against a flat surface IF the glue is loose or carefully take the band off and add some Elmers Wood Glue to fix it.  Of course, if you do that, then the stem will have an even larger gap....which is usually easily fixed by carefully sanding a touch off of the front of the tenon if the tenon happens to be too long and bottoming out.   Old estate pipes that the owner did not clean usually have nasty amounts of tar jammed in the shank keeping the stem from seating fully.  I guess I did not ask if the pipe was new or used?
  • The band may be slightly pinched over the edge to keep it from sliding down too far.  The pictures look like the band is in the correct position, but it’s hard for me to tell.  

Personally, since I have a bit of OCD....maybe....I would have to get the stem-shank joint as flush as possible, but then again I’m an OCD freak🤪
  • @RockyMountainBriar, it is a new pipe, and like you, I have some OCD too. LOL!! Ok, I will see what I can do; if not, I will call my Uncle to make a warranty claim. Thank you again for your help.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2021
    I had a couple of pipes whose stems were not flush to the shank. I solved the problem with teeny tiny rubber bands bought at Staples. The rubber bands come in colors and look real nice.

(NOTE: I tried to include a picture, but the website seems kludged.)

• @motie2
    Well, no OCD there😬
    That’s great, OCD can be a curse.
  • Here's the pic I could not post yesterday

• @motie2
    That looks great, I have to admit, way better than I expected, and it works!
  • edited March 2021
    @motie2 it looks great. Here is the pic with the shank band bent. I think is something I can fix with extreme caution and add a rubber band as suggested. The pic is not doing any favor, but the band extends beyond the wood, and the corner is bent. I believe without the band, the two pieces will align perfectly.
  • edited March 2021
    @amc747
    Wow, that is rough, even for an entry level Peterson.  It could be fixed though.
    If it were me, I would remove the band and carefully square up the shank, then set the band flush, or nearly so.  Also, trim the tenon if need be and possibly heat it to get it to sit flush and tight against the shank.  Just my $1.25 ...inflation....you know😬
  • Thank you, @RockyMountainBriar I will do my best to fix this. 

Thank you, @PappyJoe I will follow-up on your recommendation.
  • Mark is a great wealth of information and friendly...as most pipemen are.  I have contributed a few things on Peterson Pipe Notes at his request, most recently my thoughts on the new Peterson Grafton Hardcase’s👍🏻
  • AceFourAceFour Master
    For the silver marks, this is a nice reference.  Been eyeballing another silver spigot to add at some point.