Home Ask an Expert
Options

Flow

Hello everyone out there in pipe land. I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe this evening. I have been restoring pipes for just a little while (2011) and now have started making them. The lovely Mrs. gave me a Erin Go Bragh (Castleford 1001) for Christmas and a hobby block that I have carved and I must say it’s become my go to pipe. But my question is this, when is the draft hole too large? It seems that almost every pipe I purchase or receive I find myself opening them up just a tad bit. So is there a rule or is it marked somewhere in the Bible of pipe making that the draft hole should be a certain size?

Comments

• Options
    @Monk70
    That's a good question. I think the current rule of thumb is to primarily make the airway the same diameter from the funnel in the stem to the draft hole in the bowl. Here's a good article from pipedia.org discussing airflow: https://pipedia.org/wiki/Airflow:_The_Key_to_Smoking_Pleasure

I bought two pipes carved by R.D. Powell last year. Ron does all of his pipes with 9/64 airway. His theory is that he loses flavor from the tobacco if the airway is larger than that. 
  • Options
    Rick Newcomb was the first author that I encountered commenting on opened airways in "In Search of Pipe Dreams." I've been smoking mostly cobs and don't use filters which gives a very open draw. I've also drilled out a few shanks to 1/4 inch with excellent results.
  • Options
    Monk70Monk70 Enthusiast
    I thank you Pappyjoe and Balisong. I will check the link and I too find myself removing the filter from the 3 cobs that I own. The only pipes that I find I am not opening up the air way on is Ascorti, Caminetto and Radice pipes. It’s as if they breath better than any other pipe I own. Again I thank you guys for the input.
    ⚓️
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @Monk70
     I think it depends on you, the smoker🙂
    Personally, when I first started this journey, I opened up a couple of pipes....I hate them now and wish I had left them alone.  I think from 7/64”-9/64” or 3mm-4mm is right for me, depending on the size of the shank.  Smaller pipes get the smaller airways, otherwise the larger size 9/64”/4mm seems to work for me.
  • Options
    Monk70Monk70 Enthusiast
    I do believe 9/64 is about or around. It just seems that a good portion that I have come across where just restricted. I know this Erin Go Bragh should have never shipped out in the state I received it. There were sanding marks on the stem and the band looked horrible then of course the draft was unbelievably small and almost unfinished. Yes I should have returned it but I knew I could fix it and I did not want the Mrs. to feel bad since she did get it for me.
    ⚓️