Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Memories and nostalgia

So I’ve been a pipe smoker for over 20 years and have sampled hundreds of tobaccos from the drug store brands such as Borkum Riff, Captain Black and Sir Walter Raleigh to the more expensive and exclusive blends like Erinmore, Mac Baren’s Mixture and Sobranie. Recently I started smoking Sir Walter Raleigh again. It brought back a memory of my paternal grandfather, one of the only memories I have, as after my mother and father divorced when I was around two, I didn’t see him much any more. He smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. I remember the distinct foil pouch in red and blue. While some may turn their nose up at the idea of buying pipe tobacco over the counter at a local drug store, I can recall some older tv shows in which a man walked into a store and asked for a pouch or tin of pipe tobacco. And after a moment or two of smoking it, memories return to me of the smell when sitting in my grandfathers lap. The smoke is smooth to me, and the aroma brings a sort of calm and peace to my mind. Anyone else have similar thoughts and experiences?

Tommy

Comments

• Options
    I personally enjoy most of the “old codger” blends.  I was not around anyone that smoked a pipe, so I don’t have any of those memories.....just my dad and some of my uncles that smoked cigarettes😖.  My dad uncle, and grandfather smoked pipes for awhile, but my grandfather passed a few months before I was born, and my dad and uncle also gave up the pipe for the easier cigarettes before I was born.  I have found an old (empty) tin of McBarren Scottish Mixture and of course my dad had Velvet around for his roll-your-own cigs.  The Velvet can has nuts & bolts in it, it’s missing the lid🙁.  I think there is an El Dorado tin (another roll-your-own tobacco) around with some small parts in it as well.
  • Options
    My first memory of pipes was in a foot locker that was left at my grandfather's house(where my mother and I lived) by my father after he and my mother divorced. He was a career military man and would eventually marry 4 or 5 times. The tray in the foot locker had several pipes, which I wanted to keep. I was 5 or 6 years old. I was told no and the pipes were tossed along with whatever else was in the trunk. When the tray was taken out, there was a mouse nest and a hole where the rodent had chewed into the trunk. The nest had several babies, which I wanted to keep also. I was told no and the babies were fed to my dog "Puppy". She eat them like M&M's. I have often wondered if there were any pipes that would be valuable since the late 40's. I have also wondered what baby mice taste like. Well, not really.
  • Options
    To look down on blends because they're sold in the drug stores  . . .  In the 1500s and 1600s in order to buy any tobacco at all (in Britain), you pretty much were limited to going to the apothecary shop, the drug stores of that day. This even though England did not obsess on the idea of tobacco being a "cure all medicine" like France did in those days.
  • Options
    RSPiperRSPiper Connoisseur
    I came across some of the Dick Proenneke videos on YouTube recently. I am a fan of these old frozen north outdoor movies.

According to YouTube, "There were 4 one hour videos produced on Dick Proenneke's life up at Twin Lakes. For more than 30 years a man by the name of Dick Proenneke lived alone in the Alaskan Bush. His only neighbors were the wolves and grizzly bears."

I just happen to notice his pipe tobacco in one of the scenes, I found this interesting.
    This is taken from  "Dick Proenneke in The Frozen North"