Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Dr. Grabow pipes

2»

Comments

• Options
    @Neoshaone;
    Pound for pound, Sugar Ray Robinson was the all time best boxer. I'll go out on a limb and say for the price Dr. Grabow Pipes are the best.
  • Options
    I have picked up a few estates and even a couple new Grabow pipes and all are good smokers. They won't win any beauty contests but they aren't meant to.
  • Options
    I bought 3 old Falcons on eBay some time ago. They were all pretty rough. Looked like barn finds. I cleaned 2 of them up and they look nice and smoke great. This one I display in my den, as a before and after. Just a little bit of cake buildup.

Picture isn't in focus, but you can get the idea.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    @opipeman
    That Falcon must smoke well, someone really smoked the hell out of it.  I had one of my refurbs that you could just get a #2 Ticonderoga Pencil in😳
    The worst by far to clean that I have come across was a Big Ben “Calabash” shape thick with gooey Latakia tar.  The stem would only seat about halfway.  I think I could have re-caulked the USS Constitution with the amount of tar in that pipe.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    The outside of the pipes were caked with dirt. It some scrubbing. I just realized that I posted the picture under the Dr. Grabow discussion, instead of the falcon discussion. Sorry about that!
  • Options
    When this conversation was recently bumped back up I've made it a conscious effort to smoke my Dr Grabow pipes exclusively (these were my old work pipes that I seldom smoke since retiring) - and I gotta say, each smoke has been a pleasure. Maybe it's because they've been well broken in from years of smoking them day after day back when I was working ... but these cheap little buggers are really doing the trick no matter what blend I have in them. I actually enjoyed a bowl of Captain Black Cherry, which is my least favorite of the Captain Black blends.