Home General
Options

December 7, 1941.

A reminder, Dec.7, 1941.

Comments

• Options

Wrong kind of pipe shop.

Anyway, the sacrifices made that day in Pearl Harbor probably saved the world from Nazi domination, by bringing the US into WWII.
  • Options
    I wonder if it still exists today? @motie2.
  • Options
    God rest their souls. Those that survived and are still living, thank you!
  • Options
    I’m not sure their are any living survivors concerning the Pearl Harbor attack, maybe 1 or 2 at most.
  • Options
    @buflosab

Only two survivors of the USS Arizona, the ship most heavily hit in the raid, are still alive. Donald Stratton, a sailor on the USS Arizona who was burned due to the attacks, died in February, per Stars and Stripes. The Pearl Harbor Survivors Association disbanded years ago as numbers dwindled. (16 hours ago)
    www.usatoday.com › 2020/12/07

• Options
    @motie2, I knew Mr. Stratton passed, wasn’t sure there were many left, thanks for the info.
  • Options
    I visited Pearl Harbor and it is intensely emotional.  In remembrance i have said a prayer.
  • Options
    @ich4759, Many family members have been there, I have not. Must be a thrill, to be standing where history took place.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I had an uncle on my fathers side that was at Pearl when it was attacked.  He was a lucky one and made it home from the war, and in one piece.
    I have his USN MK1 knife and sheath which he gave to my Uncle Jim, my dad's twin.  My dad and uncle Jim were much younger than my uncle George Paul, but they were drafted at 18 and also served in WWII towards the end of the war.
  • Options
    I don't have any family that was at Pearl Harbor, but my grandfather joined the service and served in WW2 in the Philippines. Thankfully he survived the war, or I wouldn't be here today. He passed in January 2006. Had to miss his funeral, as I was in school a state away, and my grandma told me to concentrate on my studies. It was a good thing too, because another tragedy happened soon after, and I needed time off school to deal with that. Once I get proficient enough on the bagpipes, I plan on piping at his gravesite for him to honor him and his memory, as he loved the sound of the pipes. It's the least I can do for him, as he was a great man. 

I asked my grandma a year or two ago if she remembered Pearl Harbor. She told me she was in High School, and was at an after school event when she heard the news. She's in the hospital at the moment, but she's doing well. I'm glad she's still with us and that she could tell me a bit about that part of US history to me. I was with her when 9/11 happened, and that's the closest I'll ever get to understand what Pearl Harbor was like.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii

I missed all that kind of stuff. My parents of blessed memory were both elderly; my father went into the navy in 1918 to get out of the orphanage. Three of my grandparents were gone by the time I arrived. 

OTOH, my father claimed he fought the Battle of the Great Lakes from the Chicago Naval Training Station.
  • Options
    Much respect to all members of TPL, that had family members serving in that time and place. 
  • Options

Our God and God of our ancestors:

Watch over the defenders of our nation. 

Shield them from harm and guide them in their pursuits.  

Grant their commanders wisdom and discernment, both in time of preparation and time of battle. 

Hold close those who lost their lives that day; granting consolation to those who mourn and to all who cherish their memory.

When we despair, fill us with hope. 

When we doubt our strength, fill us with faith. 

When we are weary, renew our spirit. 

When we lose direction, show us the way back to meaning, back to compassion, back to You. 

May it be Your Will that wars and bloodshed be abolished, bringing into the world a great and wonderful and lasting peace. 

Let nation not lift up sword against nation;  let them learn war no more! 

• Options
    Well said as always.
  • Options
    a photo of my grandfather that says on the back was taken while at Pearl Harbor, and one of his favorite pipes.  I would give just about anything to sit and share a smoke with him. I miss the old Sgt. 
  • Options
    One of my uncles on my fathers side by marriage, Uncle George, was at Pearl on 12/7/41.
    I will have to find the pictures of my father and his twin when they were in Manila and Saipan.
    Another uncle, one of my dad’s older brothers was stationed in North Africa.
    Thankfully, they all made it back unscathed, at least physically, and as far as I know mentally as well.
    My Uncle Frank brought back a German Luger from his time in North Africa….I wish I had inherited that piece of history.  My dad’s twin, my Uncle Jim, brought back a Japanese flag.  The only souvenir that I know of that my dad brought back was a healthy respect for Saki.
  • Options
  • Options
    @Zouave;
    You have a strong resemblance to your grandfather. My Pop didn't smoke a pipe, but I too would give anything to visit with him again.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    @PappyJoe
    I think that last comment was supposed to be directed to @Zouave maybe?

My guess would be Amphora though.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Sorry.

You are correct.
    @Zouave
    Do you know the brand of that pipe?

• Options
    ‘Twas an Amphora, as @RockyMountainBriar conjectured, based on the symbol on the stem, as below…

• Options
    @PappyJoe it is an amphora! It's a fantastic smoker. 
  • Options
    My best friends parents were stationed in Hawaii when Pearl Harbor was attacked.