Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Sail

This is an STG brand that is no longer, as I understand it, going to be imported to the US. I smoked a ton of the Regular (Yellow), and a bit of the Natural (Ivory)  back in the day,when it was at the top end of what one found in drug stores.. More recently, I revisited the Yellow, which I had smoked the most of, and didn't find it my cuppa. I did try the Green,which I enjoyed, and the Ivory, which I liked rather more than I did them. I grabbed 5 pouches of the Ivory when I heard that this brand was no longer going to be imported.
Any other Sail fans around?  Anyone know if we are going to see this again in the US?

Comments

• Options
    Sorry @judandhispipe, I never tried it. I hope for your sake though that they bring it back.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @judandhispipe I have not tried any yet even though I have some yellow and green that I got from a sampler. I didn't realize that they made others. If that's an older tobacco I'd be curious if it comes back after all this FDA stuff goes down
  • Options
    Long ago, @drac2485, there were four Sail blends available in drugstores - Ivory, Yellow, Green,and Red. Green is a lightly topped version of Ivory, so I am assuming that Red may have been a topped version of the Yellow.
    I am assuming they got discontinued because of weak sales. The old Dutch baccys - Sail, Amphora, Troost, Flying Dutchman, Clan, and probably others I have forgotten - were drugstore blends, but a little pricier than the American. The outlets for those blends are gone.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @judandhispie I've only seen the green and yellow at my shops buts have stumbled across the ivory online. If your interested http://www.marscigars.com/sail.aspx. $5.75 a pouch. I've noticed though a lot of the pouch tobaccos seem to be getting harder and harder to find. I know this is more of a niche market now days but it's a shame to see some the older brands vanish but is it partly because the newer brands being produced are higher quality, better? I know have heard of that in the cigar world.
  • Options
    @drac2485, I've got 5 unopened pouches of Ivory. That's plenty - it's a nice-to-have blend,not a gotta-have-it.
    It may be that it's just not being imported any longer. Amphora was that way for years. I'll be grabbing more Amphora brown before I worry about Sail. I'm enjoying that a lot.
  • Options
    A while back when I posted the pictures of my old tobacco pouch labels I didn't realize Sail was even around. Had I known I would have picked some up for old times sake. The OTC blends in drug and grocery stores has thinned out considerably and with the exception of Captain Black Regular, Carter Hall, Borkum Riff, Half And Half, Prince Albert, and Sir Walter Raleigh that's about the best selection I've found in my location. I haven't seen Captain Black Gold, Royal, or Cherry (once ever present well stocked blends) in a long time. I really don't even see once OTC staples like Velvet, Granger or Paladin any more. Once popular OTC blends are being replace by generic one pound bags with names like Super Value, Largo, 4 Aces, Smoker's Pride, Gambler, or Virginia Gold.   
  • Options
    The 1 lb bags are mostly relabeled RYO tobacco (Gambler, 4 Aces), changed to dodge provisions of that 2009 act we all hate.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Judd, thanks for the post, I smoked Sail many years ago, along with Troost, Flying Dutchman, and Amphora. I still have one of the Douwe Egberts' Point Coupon which as you know, was used to purchase other products, such as pipes, pipe racks, humidors, etc. A 12 pipe walnut rack, 
    $ 9.95 plus 4 points. 

• Options
    I remember those, dbh1950! I smoked Troost as well - first tobacco I ever bought in more than a pouch was Troost Special Cavendish. Never smoked Amphora, but have been making up for that now - I smoke a ton of Regular.
    I've been thinking about getting out a one of those pouches of Sail Ivory in the near future. 
  • Options
    Sail Green is my favorite.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @judandhispipe Sail Natural is my preferred Sail blend, I tried the regular but didn't like it as much. The Aro/green I haven't had the chance to try and I have never seen the Red. I heard the same that Sail will no longer be distributed here in the States. I like Sail over Amphora and the other blends you mentioned I haven't tried like Troost or Flying Dutchman.
  • Options
    @piperdave - the Red is long gone. I smoke a fair amount of Amphora Original - a totally different critter than Sail. I have been thinking about getting out a pouch of Sail Natural. 
    @motie2, glad to know they are still around. I might decide to pick up a bit more...