Home General
Options

Pipe filters

DavidR002DavidR002 Connoisseur
I have several Savinelli pipes I can't tell any difference in smoking with and without the filter. I just wondering what others think about the filter

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @DavidR002

If you like smoking with the filter, do so. If you prefer without, do without. It’s more a matter of taste (and moisture trapping) than anything else.
  • Options
    @DavidR002
    What type of filter, 9mm or 6mm balsa, or a 9mm carbon?
    Personally when I have used carbon filters, they seem to mute the tobacco’s flavors quite a bit.  The Savinelli balsa filters don’t not mute the tobacco flavor as much.  They can both collect a bit of moisture, but that may be because they interfere with the smoke path in the first place.
  • Options
    Never had a Savinelli pipe yet so I don't know how the pipe smokes with a filter. But i like the design of the Savinelli filter. Once I get my Matches 860 Friday Savinelli pipe I'll probably use the filter and see what I think. I'm sure smoking with a filter is probably the healthiest way to go. But I find them somewhat restricting in air flow, and really change the flavor of the pipe tobacco about mid-way through the first smoke. Trying to get three usages out of a filter is damn near impossible for me. What-ever I'm smoking taste like licking an ashtray.
  • Options
    @DavidR002
    I have several Savinelli Pipes that use 6mm filters. For the most part, I agree, it makes little difference. I have a couple of Dr. Grabow Pipes that I use 6mm Balsa Filters with, and in those it does seem to make a difference (I have no idea why). I had a pipe converted to use a 6mm Balsa Filter, and it ruined the pipe, in that, it smoked really hot with the filter. To summarize, I think it depends on the pipe to a large extent. There may be other factors as well, blend being one. Experimentation and personal preferences may answer the question best. How's that for waffling?
  • Options
    DavidR002DavidR002 Connoisseur
    Yes, that's how I feel about the filters I really can't tell any difference at all and my pipe is easier to clean without changing a filter 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2020
    Am I wrong to think they are less a filter, and more an absorbent? Don’t they get wet?

The Carey papyrates are more effective and efficient at absorbing moisture, incorporating evaporation with the condensation. Unfortunately, avaiable only with Carey pipes.
  • Options
    @motie2 My first impression was that filters acted more as an absorbent until I began using the activated charcoal filters. (Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding the charcoal filters lately) But it seems they were more of a true filter, even though they would be moist after several smokes. Yet I tended to get a lot more decent smokes from a charcoal filter before the taste went all bitter on me like they do with regular paper filters.

• Options
    Been smoking the Friday Savinelli Matches 860 pipe, almost exclusively, and even though the filter seems to be a unique design I don't like the fact that I have to draw more heavily. Don't like the restriction. So I've scrapped the filter and am back to smoking without one.
    Don't know if it's a mental thing on my part but the flavor is not as intense with a filter. Love "Wild Hare" and it taste much better without the filter.