Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Recommendations for a sweet Virginia?

I'm looking for another blend now that I'm finishing the Esoterica Scarborough.  Would like something on the sweet side, mellow and deep flavor.  Any Virginia fans out there (@jfreedy) got a good one I can purchase?  Please don't say anything McClelland.  I still cry about that company.  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    I am a fan of Yorktown by C&D for fine VA fix.

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Thanks, Dan, I've been curious about that one and will now order some.
  • Options
    @mfresa
    I would recommend some RO Series Acadian Gold available from Pipes & Cigars if you haven't tried it yet. It's maybe a little walk on the wild side, but it's a straight virginia made from Canadian-grown yellow virginia that has been processed "perique-style." 
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Thanks @PappyJoe I'll investigate it.  Does it taste like a VaPer?
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited June 2020
    @mfresa
    Not in my opinion. I don't normally smoke straight virginia blends but I liked the Acadian Gold. It's been about two years since I smoked it though. 
    A few years ago, they did an RO Series Acadian VaPer which was a blend of the Acadian Gold Virginia and Perique and it was, again in my opinion, the best VaPer I've ever smoked. They also did an Acadian English which was also very good. (I still have two tins of each in my cellar and now I'm going to have to open one.)

I just check pipesandcigars.com and they have the Acadian Gold and Acadian English available for $19.99 a 50g tin. They don't have the Acadian VaPer on their website at the moment.

What I have in my cellar are the 2016 English and VaPer and 2017 English and VaPer.

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Ok I'll get some on order.  Thanks!!
  • Options
    @mfresa -
    It's your fault!

I just smoked a bowl of the 2016 Acadian English. Mine has dried out more than I remembered it but it lit well and smoked for over an hour without relighting and no bite. A little more mellow than I remember but still good. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Captain Obvious recommends.....

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Sweet Virginia #707

Sutliff Sweet Virginia is a delight for Virginia fans. This is a broken flake that burns well, and the chunky cut keeps it from getting overly hot as long as you don't puff furiously. Notes of hay, grass, citrus, and honey are all noticeable in this pleasantly straightforward blend of flue-cured tobaccos.
    Notes: Bright Virginia tobaccos pressed and tumbled out, naturally sweet.
    https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/p/sutliff-sweet-virginia/2007906/#p-2007809

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    edited June 2020
    @PappyJoe, I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to smoke the best tobacco first, and leave the rest till later.  Maybe the Acadian should be higher in your rotation? If the virginia is as good as you describe, it will definitely be ranked highly on my rotation list.
  • Options
    @mfresa
    I've tried that but I'm still exploring and when I find something I like, I buy multiple of tins. After I pretty much smoke the blend on a daily basis until its gone, my tastebuds are saying, "try something else!" So I do.

My cellar isn't stocked with tobacco blends I can't live without. It's stocked with blends I've tried and liked enough to buy again.  
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    I just ordered 4 oz of Yorktown and a tin of Acadian Gold from P&C.  thanks for the recommendations, guys!!
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Shipment of Acadian Gold and Yorktown arrived yesterday.  I'm not impressed with the Yorktown, will try the Acadian Gold soon.
  • Options
    I prefer straight Virginias as flakes. Dunhill Flake was always my favorite and the new Peterson makes the grade. John Aylesbury Sir John Flake and Classic Flake are both tasty and I really enjoy Dan Hamborger Veermaster. I haven't found a ribbon or ready rub that can compete with them.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @Balisong, I appreciate your input.  Just had my first bowl of Acadian Gold, by Russ Oulette (sp?), and can definitely recommend it.  Thanks to @PappyJoe for putting me on to this very special Virginia.  It is smooth, and malty, like a beer, and burns nicely without fuss.  @jfreedy and other Virginia lovers should definitely give it a try.