Home Tobacco Talk

New Old Tobacco

So, I've come across a few tins at my local tobacconist that have quite a bit of age on them. I picked up a tin of Mac Baren Symphony last week from 2008. My question to you all is have you had many instances of finding aged tins at your b&m's, how often, what brands, etc.

Comments

• I occasionally find "New Old Stock" tobacco when traveling and finding an actual cigar and pipe shop. The danger is that some tins may have been opened in years past and can be dry as dust even if the tin feels like it still has a factory seal. You just don't know until you buy and open it.

I've found some old tins and asked if they had ever been opened and was assured they hadn't. Then I give it to the clerk and ask them to check the seal by twisting the lid and it comes right off. I've also seen some jerks open tins off the shelf, sniff them and then put the lid back on the tin. That's wrong as far as I'm concerned.
  • Ooh. Yeah opening them in the store is a big no no lol. Fortunately this tin was still sealed but was dry. A little warm breath in the palm of my hand humidified is sufficiently.
    On a side note, I was hoping for a very smooth smoke but was disappointed. It had a mild bite if puffed too hard, but the flavor was nice. Just not much different than many other VaBur blends that weren't aged 12 years. But then I've heard others say MB tobacco can bite more than others.
    I guess you just can't beat quality leaves aged by the manufacturer before hand. 
  • mfresamfresa Master
    I bought a couple of tins that were 5 years old, can't remember the blends, but they were outstanding.  Very smooth, complex flavors.  I think they were English blends (Davidoff, etc).  Wish I could get more.