Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Orange Virginia

jfreedyjfreedy Master
edited May 2020 in Tobacco Talk
One of my favorite blends is University from Royal Pipes in Norman, OK. According to their main tobacconist it is a straight orange Virginia with some type of topping on it. And, they got it straight from McClelland. I’d like to find a replacement for it but can’t find much online about orange Virginias or blends made primarily of it. I’d like to buy some bulk orange Virginia and experiment with adding some different toppings. However, looking at online tobacco providers I can’t find any bulk tobaccos labeled ORANGE Virginia. Do you know where I can buy some? Also, if you know of any blend that sounds like University I’d love to know that as well. 

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @jfreedy
    Research shows Orange Virginia is a principal ingredient in Erinmore Flake ... 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/orange-virginias.27642/

<<As I understand Virginias, color relates to stalk position. Red at the bottom and with the most natural sugar. It progresses on up the lightest yellows at the top. Red is often mentioned as having a bread like note. The lighter ones are known for their citrus note. Red will be the larger leaves and carry more weight to the sheds.
    I recently picked up a pound of Newminster 701 Straight Virginia. It has light note along with the more available yellow. It is lighter than other pure Va's I've bought.>>
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited May 2020
    @jfreedy .... Another no longer available blend to look for...

The Mind Meld Virginia Ribbon

“Top grade sweet orange Virginia leaf aged to mellow, then aged again in pressed cakes to darken and smooth, then spun into ribbon for easy packing. Virginia as it should be!
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    Thanks @motie2. I’ll look into getting some Newminster 701 Straight Virginia. Sounds like that’s the only orange Virginia I can buy. 
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    Actually, it looks like you can’t buy Newminster 701 Straight Virginia anymore. 

@Danishface - do you know if PS 701 Virginia is the same (orange Virginia)?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Just by the way.....

There are several types of Virginia, each with unique characteristics:

• Yellow Virginia: The most sweet of them all. Lemon to banana yellow in color. The taste has a citrus-like, acidic sweetness.
    • Orange Virginia: A bit less sweet then the yellow with a kind of hay-like quality.
    • Bright Virginia: (A collective term) Most of the times a mixture of yellow and orange with perhaps a bit of red.
    • Red Virginia: A bread or yeast-like toastiness with a lot less sugar.
    • Brown Virginia: Heat, pressure and aging are used to deepen the flavor and increase the nicotine content of the leaf. Regarding taste it has a mildly sweet earthiness.
    • Black Virginia: Yellow Virginia gets roasted on a metal surface until it turns black. This way the sugars are caramelized and you get a bit of a sweet, fruity taste.